Written warning

I am in the midst of organizing our personnel files and I came across one that I need some professional help on! One EE has a written warning in his file for misuse of email/internet. That is about all the warning says but there is a sealed envelope attached to it. I have no idea what is in the envelope and I am wondering if I should know what is in there and should we allow sealed documents in the file?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you the manager of HR and would have a need to know what is in the file. It is okay to have sealed envelopes in a personnel file. You would have them for warnings or counseling sessions that resolve around a sensitive issue, that not everyone in HR has a need to know about. I would ask your boss or if you are the highest level of HR open the envelope and then make a decision if it needs to be resealed.
  • For just that reason, our sensitive information is kept in a confidential file that can be referred to should the situation occur again. But as said above, someone needs to know what is in that envelope, so if you're that level, open it. If not, give it to someone who is.
  • I agree with the advice given. If you are in a position of authority in HR, open it. If you are able to determine who sealed and put the envelope there, for example, the CEO, ask him/her about its relevance.

I can tell you that sealed envelopes can be as bogus as any other assertion being made by management. Once, as HR Director, I found a sealed envelope in the file of a Vice President, to whom I reported. I opened it and it said, "Don D sent X to my office to voice his H1B status concerns with me. If he is going to do that, what do I need Don D for?" I had not sent X to see the CEO, who penned the note. X had apparently gotten disenchanted with his lack of movement through the immigration pipeline and had gone into the CEO's office to bitch.

I requested conference with the CEO and told him it was based on misinformation and that it had no relationship to the truth. He apologized and told me to tear it up. This sort of weak management and lack of investigative approach is what encouraged me to seek other opportunities after saving that company probably three million dollars in labor law infraction cost avoidance.
  • You've received good counsel from the other posts, it's exactly what I would do if I were in your position. Sealed envelopes are fairly bogus, because once it's in the personnel file, the employee or manager may ask to see it.
  • Thanks for the advice. I am the manager of HR, the only HR!! The envelope was placed in the file before I took this position, so there is no one to ask about the contents. I feel that I need to know what is in there in case there is ever another issue with email misuse by this ee.
  • You are certainly within your rights to open it. Based on its contents, you may have a discussion with the top person in the organization, or the ee's manager, or you may simply want to reseal and refile it.
  • I opened the sealed envelope, half expecting to open some curse or plague. As pointed out in some of the responses it was bogus. No need for it to be in a sealed envelope, nothing of sensitive or confidental matters.