Symptoms??

Health Care/Food Service -- We are considering creating a short form to document the symptoms employees have when they call in sick. The department directors would then send the forms to HR to be filed in the employee's confidential health file. That way we could trace symptoms if we suspect a foodborne illness or group of residents and nursing staff have similar symptoms to track illnesses/exposures.

Does anyone do this? What do you include on the form? Is it a written policy, how did you present to employees?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Before you do anything make sure you look at all of the new HIPPA guidelines. Documenting illnesses might be tricky with all of these new rules.
  • Definitely check the new HIPPA rules. Also, Do you allow personal days because lots of people that call in sick are not really sick. Also, How about the same symptons that could be for a number of different ailments. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable having to explain all of my symtoms to my supervisor. This information, I believe, should be giving to my Doctor only. Hope this helps..
  • Don't do it. It violates HIPPA. If your having problems with people calling in sick & you suspect some type of cross contamination - call in the experts. Call OSHA, your local health department, etc. and have them inspect your working environment. I think it's backwards to go to the employee first - after they may have already caught something, rather than going to the potential source.
  • You would be violating HIPAA. If you have a Medical Director for your facility and possibly an infection control consultant, they can be a resource for assisting with appropriate policies/procedures for food handling,etc., employee training, etc. In our hospital system, we have even had food vendors come and provide emloyee training on various items, supplementing that with inservices done by our infection control and risk management personnel.

OSHA also offers free on-site consultation and assistance to employers in identifying and correcting specific hazards, as well as developing and implementing injury or illness prevention programs and training and education services. Those services are completely separate from OSHA's enforcement arm
    (any information about the workplace will not be routinely reported to the OSHA inspection staff). You can contact your State OSHA group for informationa nd contacts.
  • My first reactions was to ask, "Are You Crazy???" Actually, what you are proposing to do could be called an attorney welfare proposal because every attorney in your town would love to get a shot at suing your company for privacy violations.
    Don't do what you are proposing.