Terminating a Senior Manager

Any advice for how to terminate a Senior Manager? I have contacted the attorney to draw up a severance package and continued healthcare. I am contemplating how the job duties transition will work. This manager doesn't fit our team well. Any advice on how to best handle the meeting so the person leaves with some dignity? Any advice on how we can be prepared for questions or reactions? Any special preparations or things to think about/review beforehand?

Thanks!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Always a tough one. When I have had to do something like this, I have everything in place (severance agreement, etc.). I try to wait until the end of the day or as late as possible. It's best to be as honest and direct as possible. Jim, I called you in today to deliver some rather unpleasant news. We have decided to terminate your employment with our company. We recognize your expertise in your field, but it is the general consensus of the group that you are just not a good fit with the rest of the team. This is not a personal reflection on you, but it is simply a fact. (At this point, you may get some conversation from the employee or the beginnings of an argument. Sometimes they simply are stunned and stare at you. Most of the time, though, people are somewhat intuitive as to how they are being received by others. If they start to argue, simply say "The decision has been made and is not open to discussion. We want to be fair to you and for this transition to be as easy as possible, so we have put together the following severance package." I would present this to them and advise them that you will give a neutral reference. Shake their hand and wish them well. Follow whatever your policy is on terminated employees clearing out their workspace.

It's best to keep these things as brief as possible and not get into any type of lengthy discussion with an employee as to "why".

Good luck!
  • At the risk of being curt, treat this as you would/should any other termination conference. These terminations are generally less emotional and more straightforward, so treat it the same as the others (or your own) and you'll do justice to the uncomfortable process. Good luck
  • In the process you might want to explain what exactly, "not a good fit" means. Termination can be difficult enough without having to wonder what was WRONG with you, why didn't anyone like me, am I ugly, fat, WHAT. Sounds silly but being told I wasn't a good fit would be hard for me to deal with.
  • CELESTE: "FAT" IS NOT A REASON/JUSTIFICATION FOR TERMINATING ANYONE! BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT! EEOC JUMPED ALL OVER THAT ONE WHEN THE EMPLOYER TOLD THE EE THAT SHE WAS TO LARGE (PHYSICALLY) TO BE AROUND LARGE, HUNGRY, OR STRESSED ANIMALS. SHE HEARD "TO FAT: AND CHARGED US WITH DISCRIMINATION DUE TO MEDICAL REASONS.

WE HAVE TERMINATED SEVERAL MANAGERS AND BECAUSE WE HAD ALL THE ANSWERS,IT HAS ALWAYS GONE SMOOTHLY OVER 5 TO 10 MINUTES AND IT WAS OVER.

PORK
  • I am aware of the legal aspects of the statement. The term in itself was general. I too have had to terminate senior level managers. I just don't think telling someone they are not a good fit is a good thing. The term may go well in the office but what does it add to the fact they have been terminated and don't really understand why.
  • Hi Celeste - I'm not a big fan of explaining why the employee is not a "good fit" with the company as it can lead many people astray in their termination discussion, i.e. debate, comparison to other employees, snide comments about management styles, potentially explosive comments like the one that Pork mentioned. With that said, I'm also not a big fan of management 'surprising' employees with a termination meeting. The poor performance issues should have been documented along the way, so when the employee gets pulled in, they already know the outcome of the meeting. However, if your style works the best for you - then go get 'em x:-)
  • I think mwild31 makes a good point. Progressive discipline should eliminate surprises. During the process and at the end, both the ee and employer are well aware of what is working and what is not. Of course, if something happened to catapult past all of the usual progression steps, that would be a different story. Still, senior management should not be clueless regarding these kinds of issues.

It is one of the hardest jobs HR does, in my opinion, the straightforward approach suggested by Rockie is one that most frequently works the best for apure termination. Of course, a voluntary resignation is a better spin and all of those severance goodies available make a great carrot.

Good luck.
  • WE posted a bit about this the other day - but for the life of me, I don't see why mgmt wouldn't approach voluntary resig in leiu of term. 'We've decided things just arn't jelling from our perspectives and it's time to separate comany. We'd like this to be easy on everyone, and give you the opportunity to resign with severance and a release..etc...' You are going to get what you want in any event, this gives the employee his release with some dignity, assurance of no negative connotation, and you get the economic peace of knowing you will not have to face a lawsuit or administrative review, even if it would be unfounded. If you are goint to ppay severance, and it is something the ee is not otherwise entitled too as a matter of right, I think it is insanity not to get a complete release.
  • Pork, are you serious? Did I read that correctly? That's so outrageous it's funny.