Employee vehicle on premises and it's display

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-19-03 AT 11:19AM (CST)[/font][p]There is an employee in a Southern state that drives a car containing a confederate flag. The flag is visible while the car is parked on our lot. Customers are complaining that they find the flag offensive. What if anything can the company do? Can we ask the employee to remove the flag from his car? Park the car off premises?

FYI - we told him to take the flag out or park elsewhere.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You have no idea the can of worms you have opened. There is a loooooooong thread on this in the forum already. It was one of the first I read when I discovered this site.
    Do a search for confederate flag and you will find it. Good luck!
  • Okie from TX, to find the thread that Deez is referring to, you will have to search the "archives." But don't worry -- it's not that hard to do. Simply click on the Search icon at the top of this page, type in "Confederate flag," and be sure to check the box marked "Search the archives, too." When the search is complete, the link that you're looking for will be the first one under the list of "archived" links. It's the one that shows "76 replies" and, when I last looked just a few minutes ago, "1155 views." Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems finding it. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • THE CUSTOMER IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY BUSINESS, IF IT IS OFFENSIVE TO HER/HIM THEN YOU MUST TAKE AN APPROPRIATE RESPONSE! Yes to all of your questions. Whether, the employee will abide and be a long term employee is a different issue. A professional approach confidently to keep from "stomping on someone's ego" is recommended. But, in no un-certain terms the company can not allow this situation to continue as is or you may loose the customer's business. Now weigh the loss of business over the loss of ee and it becomes clear who wins out.

We had an 18 wheel driver who put his flag over the air/water cooler to make the engine run better in the winter time, of course, the tractor was ours and the flag had to go. We did not need any additional events to excite the public.

Remove the flag or the vehicle from the property!

PORK
  • there is a case that i think the south carolina editors wrote about---go to the search function in the iupper right hand corner of hrhero.com and if you are a member do a search...mike
  • Let's not go THERE again...............
  • Okay, Anne, you hold Don's arms behind his back and I'll create a diversion! x;-)
  • I'm serious. I thought the man was recommending some kind of legal opinion article from one of the Carolinas. He was a bit vague though.