Background Checks

I am looking for the procedures for the State of Minnesota for doing employment criminal background checks and credit checks. I understand that Minnesota has some special procedures beyond those required by federal law for providing information to investigated applicants or employees. I am also looking for some sample disclosure and authorization forms.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• I would suggest that you contact your State Bureau of Investigation , Division of Criminal Information as to proper procedure for your state. They can provide you a CRC form and advise what steps are required. Each state is a little different in its process. My agency used to use the SBI strictly, but because of the slow turn-around, we found a private agency who would handle the checks for us. You will need a specific release of information form to be completed by the employee, prior to checking though. If the person gives you grief about it, you are one step ahead of the game in that he/she probably has something that would preclude hiring anyway. Good luck
  • I recently ran a background check for an ee is the state of MN and I know there is a specific form that needs to be completed which requires a notary public's signature as well. It specifically states that the person is authorizing the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to disclose all information to a specific company. This is a form I received from the company we contract with to do our background checks.