Enforcing basic company policies without coming across like a tyrant....

Hi all

I need your ideas please. As part of our ongoing manager training initiatives, we are starting to run brown bag luncheons where managers swap ideas for better management practices. I have to monitor our first brown bag session this week. The topic chosen by our managers: how to enforce basic company policies (ee chatter, tardiness, etc) without coming across like a tyrant or a nag.

If any of you have some good tips, insights or war stories to share, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not a single reply yet? come on gang, I know you have some good ideas to share.... thanks!!!!
  • As far as tardies are concerned, you really need to have a policy and stick to it. As for chatter, this is going to happen. I think that the more visible a supervisor is, the more the chatter decreases. If the supervisor is in an office, they need to get up and make the rounds. Have them stop at desks to see if anyone needs help or has questions. This way they will not look like a prison guard! This will go a long way towards having the respect of their teams as well.
  • Great idea. A tip though....if this is going to work, i.e. be productive for the company, you've got to start from the get-go with methodology that will get supervisors/managers to buy-into the concept. Otherwise, after about three quarterly runs at yawning sandwich-meetings, they'll die on the vine. Get some energy going, solicit lots of group input, tape flip paper all over the walls and let the group fill them out....let them define the concept as they choose to and empower them to set their own objectives and anticipated outcomes. I'm bothered by your perception that you are there to 'monitor' the meeting. And maybe I'm reading too much into your use of the phrase "I HAVE TO monitor". Sounds like it may be un-energized from the start. Don't dare step in front of the plane and attempt to spin the prop without gas in the tanks.
  • as far as tardiness, chatter and other basic policies just make sure the policies are in place and all the employees are aware of them...but the bottom line is that these policies are going to be broken from time to time no matter what...the one suggestion i have is to stay away from "micromanagement" it is happening to me right now and it reduces job satisfaction to ZERO!! i feel like i am in high school again..not a very pleasant thing.
  • Thanks for input.

As far as Don's insights, I didn't mean for this program to come across as a negative - quite the opposite. We are actually excited about this concept. In fact, it was the managers that came to me asking for help and training. They love the idea of brown bag lunches and were eager to pepper me with topics. Nobody is forced to attend - yet the response of those who want to attend has been overwhelming. We will see if that continues.

I'm actually looking forward to monitoring the session. I just like having lots of tips in my back pocket to get the discussion rolling or fill in any of the dead air. I certainly know how I have handled these situations - but I truly value the ideas of others to see other avenues.

Thx again to all. I may solicit your ideas again for future mtgs!
  • Some may think this one is silly, but, I've been present when it worked. If you encounter a period of dead air and clock watching, have everyone stand up. They are allowed to have a seat as soon as they offer something that verbally moves the program along. It becomes fun, then it becomes a contest and before you know it the dead space is history. You'll be watching a couple of people shift from foot to foot like they hafta pee, trying to come up with something to contribute. Sorry for the analogy. It just came to mind.
  • I spent 12 years teaching at the University level; Operations Management, Supervision, Labor Relations; everybody thinks it's easy to be "gently but tough". It just aint so. I conduct supervisory training for 40-50 supervisors that all have the technical skills for the job, just not the training to carry through as managers. My advice is to remind them that they are the focul point for getting the job done and MUST have the stones to be the watchdog. Company policies may, from time to time, be broken. However, the actions may end up with an injury, hugh law suit, and certainly negative moral issues. It is your job to "take the horse to water", i.e. tell them what they need to do as supervisors; it is their job to carryout their mission. Just an old salt that's been there.
  • Other ways to energize a training session and to help the managers see the prospective of the employees is role-playing. Have them partner up or get in small groups and one employee be the manager with others being the employees and have them brainstorm ways they can motivate employees to follow policies and procedures, by thinking of ways THEY would be motivated. Then have them work out these scenarios in short dramas for the rest of the group. Brings alot of laughs, keeps things interesting, and gives good insight.
    Also remember that recognizing those who follow your policies with vocal praise, small treats maybe from time to time, and considerations for promotions and raises, can say as much as "getting on" to the dissenters..