Right to Know About Terminated Emp?

Please let me know how, or if, you notify your staff of a Lead's firing. We recently fired one of our Leads and then heard from an employee (another Lead)that it was a hot topic among our staff. They are apparently feeling insecure, as the terminated employee was well-liked, and it left them wondering if it happened to her, could it happen to them? We fired the employee due to poor job performance; this was apparent to those who worked closely with her, but those that didn't just saw a nice lady being let go. I notified her staff, but no one else, as we don't make an announcement about someone being fired!
Surprisingly, the Lead who told us about the situation, asked her supervisor if we just all of a sudden had let her go. It was explained that it hadn't happened that way - that we had gone through the normal steps leading to a termination. If a Lead could wonder about this, how must the rest of the staff feel? The Lead should know better; she's been through the process of terminating a member of her staff. Documentation, written warnings, etc. Our thoughts are that we should probably have notified the Leads individually, telling them it just wasn't a good fit. It's not appropriate to notify the rest of the staff when a Lead is let go. If asked by their staff, the Leads could tell them the same. Amazingly, this is the first time we have actually fired a Lead in the 14 years I've been with the company. We have demoted, but not fired. What do the rest of you do? I know I'm long winded, sorry!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Immediately after a termination, I send an e-mail to all affected employees that so-and-so is no longer with us as of such-a-date and we wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors. Please direct any questions to Human Resources. No details. If pressed for details, I usually tell the inquirer (who usually has no business knowing) that personnel matters are confidential and we respect John Doe's privacy and would request that you to do the same.

• We, also, let affected employees know when someone has left and wish the former employee well. And, we do it for all employees. That's all we do. It does not matter if the employee was discharged, quit, retired etc. HR should never,NEVER, speak about any employee (whether current or former) with another employee except on a need to know basis. Maintaining the confidentiality of an employee record (both good and bad)is one of the most important parts of the job.
  • >We, also, let affected employees know when someone has left and wish
    >the former employee well. And, we do it for all employees. That's all
    >we do. It does not matter if the employee was discharged, quit,
    >retired etc. HR should never,NEVER, speak about any employee (whether
    >current or former) with another employee except on a need to know
    >basis. Maintaining the confidentiality of an employee record (both
    >good and bad)is one of the most important parts of the job.

Just so I don't appear too ignorant, I am emphatic about protecting an employee's privacy. The employee, herself, on the way out the door, told several staff memebers she had been terminated. How long does it take for that type of news to get around in your company?!
  • About 12 seconds..........but, the important thing is that it does not come from ME.
  • not only does it take 12 seconds but it the story has changed in that time.
  • We usually tell the employee at the end of the day and they have someone with them while they clean out their desk or they wait til the weekend, so they don't have a chance to talk to other employees about what happened. We then send out an email to all the employees to let them know that such and such is no longer working for the company and any inquiries should be directed to HR. We had to address this issue just last week by sending out a reminder that the details of hiring and terminating employees is not to be discussed and all questions regarding these situations for current and former employees should be directed to HR or the VP of Operations.

Of course, they will still talk and as many of them are friends outside of work, you can never truly keep a lid on everything, but like Don said, at least it didn't come from HR!!