Fragrances

Does anyone have a policy on fragrances in the office? We're finding that some employees have taken to using the "plug-in" fragrances and they may irritate other employees - may exacerbate allergies, cause headaches, etc.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can't win for losin'. We beat this one up pretty well a few months back but need to again I guess. Somebody is offended or affected or aggravated by everything that's done or could be imagined. Plug in fragrances are just the latest. There's also the spray air freshener, flowers, potpourri, incense, purfume, deoderant, shaving lotion, cologne, candles, microwaved garlic, canned salmon, scratch 'n' sniff and the occasional, hopefully inadvertent dog do.
  • lydiac,
    The earlier stream of content that I believe Don is referring to focused on fresh flowers in the workplace. You can find it by using the search function to the left of this screen. Type in "fresh flowers" and hit your return. The top item will be the one you're seeking. Hope this helps. tk
  • Just a note, I recently found out that the "plugins" actually aggravate asthma quite a bit.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Being a medical facility, we have signage posted everywhere in the clinical areas advising that fragrances should not be worn either by patients or by staff, but, I can assure you, they still do.

Being a person who suffers from being around extremely strong fragrances to the point of triggering a migraine, I can sympathize with those who have these issues. Usually,though, I am not the only person who complains about the fragrance. I address it with the individual and ask that they please refrain from wearing the fragrance as it bothers some. Sometimes they get offended and sometimes they are very accepting. If I personally encounter someone who is wearing an extremely strong fragrance that bothers me, I have no issues with advising them that I am allergic and I would appreciate it if they would not wear the fragrance again. Thankfully, I do have a private office that I can go into, shut my door and turn on my little air filter.

• I tried very unsuccessfully during Valentine's day week to convince my wife that most of my friends on the forum had said that even flowers should be banned in the workplace as they are offensive to some persons. I tried twice.
  • Well Don, you can be glad she insisted on the flowers..if I had been your wife I would have sweetly said ok, and made you get me a diamond something, as surely THAT wouldn't trigger anyone's sinuses!..

Concerning the thread, we are 90% women, so we have candles, and flowers galore. Basically we are comfortable enough to say to someone that their candle is too strong, but most burn the light frangrances. And everyone seems to ohh and ahh over flowers so we must be lucky I guess. I'll tell you though..it ticks me off when someone burns one that smells like cinnamon rolls or banana nut bread and I come downstairs only to find my senses toyed with and there's no food in sight...ahhh cinnamon rolls...
  • >I tried very unsuccessfully during Valentine's day week to convince my
    >wife that most of my friends on the forum had said that even flowers
    >should be banned in the workplace as they are offensive to some
    >persons. I tried twice.

I certainly hope you didn't get away with this!

• I guess my bi-focals were playing tricks but when I first looked at the posters name I thought I saw Lilac. I thought how appropriate for the thread topic.
  • Well, POPEYE isn't exactly lost on me either. I'm stopping for a chicken box on the way home!
  • I don't know what kind of work environment you are in. But, we should not have to draft policies for everything. A general statement to the work force (followed by a memo confirming what was stated) regarding fragrances it's pro and con's and a stearn advise of what will be allowed/approved should be sufficient. Maybe you can work with the cleaning supply company and buy an odor/smell killer rather than an enhancer should be sufficient.

However, a past experince:
    We had an employee who suffered a stroke in our office due to an allergic reaction she developed over a strong perfume someone wore in the office. There after this person who recovered from the stroke had to be very careful with scents and fragrances and ultimately her life has changed dramatically. (unable to work outside her home environment, unable to travel to many places)

Good Luck

Elian,
    Long Beach, CA