She just doesn't get it

I am always impressed by the responses on this forum. I'd like to know your opinion on how you would have handled a situation. I hired a lead, KH, for our reception department 9 months ago. She came into a situation where she had experienced staff. A lead who had stepped down from the position, due to health reasons, trained her. The former lead, JB, is our expert in that department. I do not know the reception job, but I am the lead's supervisor. My role with her is to help her with her lead duties. JB was responsible for her reception training at our large office. All our leads are working leads - they are expected to know their departments better than anyone. Of course, I did not expect her to be where JB is for quite some time.
I emphasized to KH, first in the interview, and then when she started, that she needed to learn the reception duties before anything else. She had 4 weeks of training before the recept (who trained her)in our smaller office went on vacation for 2 weeks. We are an imaging center; that office does one type of exam. I asked JB to go to that office each day to see how KH was doing,if she needed help. She did.
KH then came to our larger facility to train with JB. When I asked how she was doing, I was told she was taking a longer time to train than most. She was a good person and lead, so we gave her more leeway. At one point, (3 months later?)my two other leads both came to me relaying considerable frustrations with KH's work. KH's errors affect their dept and cause addtional work. I told them to give her more time. I had a mtg w/the 3 of them, so the 2 could help KH learn the connection between their dept. She has continued to struggle; we do not feel she is ever going to get it. It finally came down to me talking to her and giving her 30 days to improve, knowing that she probably wouldn't, but allowing her the chance. The problem is she does not understand that she doesn't get it. She continues to ask the other recpt the same questions and says she was never told. I talked to KH the next day at her request, and what came of it was the decision to give her the time she needed to look for another job.
I feel terrible, of course, but I can't continue to keep someone who isn't learning their job. I gave her a lot of time before seriously talking with her because she has so many good qualities. I wanted to give her plenty of time. If I could do it again, I would have talked to her sooner. (Prior, I had only spoken to her a few times; no documention). I do not work with her at the front desk so don't see her deficiencies; I have to ask others, which I did frequently. Not everyone gave me negative feedback, but then again, other staff don't like doing this. JB was willing to give her more time,as well. Now, co-workers are experiencing continued frustration without much hope of her changing, consequently, the severe action.
Please tell me what I could have done better; I need to learn from this one.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Actually, you were right more than wrong, in that you aren't letting the situation go on forever, and you do want to have a successful hire. Whenever a new employee is hired there is a learning curve and the supervisor is the only person who can determine the length of the curve. There are situations where giving a little more time is appropriate, but only when the chance of improvement is greater than the chance of not improving. If there is no expectation of improvement then there isn't any purpose in providing extra time. Further, when someone is told that they have 30 days to improve it kind of locks you in to giving that much time. If they mess up and you've had it at 20 days, the employee can say that you gave them 10 more. It would have probably gone a little better if you hadn't given the extra time - you suspected it wouldn't help. It also would have been better if you had documented your discussions with the employee so that when you made the separation you had a record of the problems. While it was considerate to give the employee time to find another job, that step is not necessary, and sometimes counterproductive because the employee may start behaving in inappropriate ways. These hard decisions are best made as early as possible as soon as you have determined that it isn't going to work out.
  • Sound like you do that right thing to me, but I would not have given her the additional time. Because this always starts a chain reaction with other employees. Others will be expecting the same type of courtesy. Also was this employee given more than the 90 probationary period? From my own working knowledge it is imperative that you start the documentation period early on. Our employees are trained and if additional retraining is needed then it is documented. So that when and if we have to let them go because they are just not getting it. We have documented the training and the retraining process to show that they received additional training as requested. Just my two cents worth of information.
  • I say to you, disregard all the minutia. Think what is the average amount of time it's required to learn the job. Focus on performance, meet with the employee, go over the training the person has received (ensuring quality training has been given) review the performance with the employee, let him/her know that performance is weak and it must improve with in the next 5-10 days. If things do not improve, next meeting have his/her check ready. I would give it a total of 15-30 days total.
  • You could try creating a matrix showing specific criteria to be mastered at certain time frames. At 30 days a reception person should be able to A, B, and C without help or further instructions. At 45 days D and E, at 60 days, F. Etc. I actually used this in a radiology department for film librarians and schedulers/front desk clerks. Barbara
  • blw,

Good idea - I'll make this a priority and try to implement it with the next new hire. Thanks. Sandi
  • I think you did the exactly what you should've. You had an employee that you felt was going to be an asset to your company. You gave her "every" opportunity to progress. Unfortunately, you had no way of knowing that your efforts were not going to pay off. Putting her on work improvement was also a good idea as this gives you additional opportunity to provide feedback during the designated 30 days. There have been some other great suggestions but there wouldn't be anything wrong with doing exactly what you did again based upon how you felt about this employee.
  • (NO DOCUMENTATION) This is where I sense you missed the boat. Documentation is the KEY to opening one's brain to let the knowledge and expected behaviors to become reality. Personal talks and social intercourse only allow the individual to continue to demonstrate their ineptness to their surroundings and their lack of physical attributes that allow everyone to see that this person is a good solid lead. It is also my wonder, if you are the HR, why are you concerned with the direct training of an employee that is not a member of HR?

I recommend you call it quits, and start all over, begining with the development of a job description with specific job task that the ee must master within a given amount of time. When the sun sets, pull the switch and she will have risen to your level of expectations or she will have mastered her way out the door, while greeting her replacement coming in the door. And' by the way, I would not put "me" in the chain of command unless she is to work for me. If she is to work for me then there will be no one smarter about how to do the job than me. If you can not rise to that challenge, then step aside and let someone else hold the reins on this position. Good Luck, Pork
  • Yes, Pork, I did miss the boat. That's why I wrote to ask for suggestions. We brought a new lead in from the outside; there was no one from within who wanted or was capable of the position. This makes the learning curve larger. I'm not going to write someone up before giving them a chance. When I met with her and the two other leads, I had hoped this would help her. I've documented things that have happened; I just didn't have her sign anything prior to the recent conversation. Regarding your question of why I'm involved with her training,I wear more than one hat, as many of us in HR do. I handle HR and I supervise three of our support departments. The Leads of these departments are directly under me. Like I said, I'll learn from the experience. And I do have faith in my abilities. Who would take this on if I were to "step aside?" We've always tried to give employees the benefit of the doubt; some need more help than others, and not all employees will be superstars. (I do realize a lead needs to be). So, live and learn. Sandi