Evaluating Applicants

I have an entry level Teller position posted right now and because of the economy and job market I am receiving two types of resumes that are difficult to evaluate.

First, I have received quite a few resumes from folks who have clearly focused on a field other than ours and have not adjusted their resumes to change that focus (e.g., child psychology, crisis counseling, teaching, computer science, etc.). Many of these have some sort of applicable experience in their work history. My concern is that while they may have some applicable skills in their past, I don't expect that their focus will be on their position with us when the market improves in their field of choice.

Second, I have received some resumes from folks who have written their resumes as if their whole career has focused on our industry, but when reviewing work history they haven't worked in a financial institution for ten years or more. In our field things have changed a great deal over the last ten years (over the last three years for that matter). For that reason it is difficult to give that experience much weight.

I don't want to overlook people I should be considering, but I also have the interest of a successful and lasting hire for the company. We are such a small company that turnover can be very difficult for us to absorb. Obviously, the risk of hiring a person that is overqualified and will not be happy in the position, even in the short term, is a risk here as well.

Any words of advice?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If your main concern is turnover, I would not hire counselors, teachers, computer techs, etc. for an entry level teller job. These folks obviously cannot find jobs and are looking for "a job". Having worked in financial institutions before, there are two types of individuals who become tellers. Ones that want to get into the institution and move upward fast(or still looking for a higher level job) or those who truly just love being tellers. These are the service oriented, customer service, friendly and open type personalities. I would focus on cash handling background and some computer background,but would not go into a high level candidate unless you are prepared to move them upwards quickly. You will lose them to a higher paying job as soon as the find something that pays more than most teller positions.

I have found a rich resource in some of our state workers who have been given early retirement because of the economy. They are mature workers, but too young to be "retired". Money is not their main focus - they just need to supplement their retirement and have a purpose. They also tend to have a good work ethic. I hired one as a receptionist and also one to do administrative work. Both have turned out to be excellent employees.

Good luck - these are not easy positions to fill with quality people!

• Jessica,

I OFTEN find myself in the very same position and the temptation to hire an overqualified person is great - especially when our branches are short staffed and everyone is working their pants off just to keep up (the 1st and 3rd of the month).

I've tried to develop relationships with the carrer offices of local colleges and universities along with our local job development officer. They can ofen find us a part-time college student that can work the crazy hours our branches require. My advise is not to hire an obviously overqualified applicant - they will be bored to tears in no time and may even give notice as soon as they realize that the position is not what they're looking for.

Try offering an employee referral bonus if you can afford it and part-time benefits too. Your best new hires often come from current employees. I haven't had any luck using a sign-on bonus for new hires. Good luck!