Personnel Files - Help

I have a question on how we break up our personnel files and wanted to get some input as to how some of you do it, especially in light of all the new privacy laws.

We currently have the following 5 individual folders for each employee:

1) application, resume, W4,I-9, S.S., employee contact info
2) payroll info - w4, direct deposit, salary, etc..., any withholding
3) performance reviews, awards, attendance, vacation requests
4) insurance info - on health, workers' comp, etc... KEPT separately and securely
5) background checks & drug testing --- THIS FILE IS KEPT in a separate and secure place, completely out of anyone's reach.

Are we doing this correctly? Should the background checks and drug testing be placed in 2 different files?

I greatly appreciate all your input and advise - as usual!
Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In all the companies I have worked for we keep four files for each employee:

1) Personnel File: contains all payroll information, garnishments, insurance enrollments, reviews, new hire information, absence notifications

2) Confidential File: kept separate from the personnel file but this contains any testing the employee has taken, any background check information, and drug test results

3) Medical File: this is kept separate as well and contains any medical information (doctor's notes, FMLA paperwork, restrictions, short-term disability info.).

4) Worker's Comp. File: This contains any and all information pertaining to any worker's comp. injuries. This is kept separately as well.

When an employee requests a copy or wants to view their personnel file, they are able to see only the first file.

If this is not correct and someone feels that changes need to be made, please let me know as well.
  • This is how I do it...

1. Personnel file - application, reviews, discipline issues, certificates/licenses, seminar attendances, letters of commendation from patients and staff, policies employee needs to sign acknowledging them, vacation requests.

2. Medical file - anything pertaining to medical, L&I (workers comp) claims, MD notes, benefits, (I have a separate FMLA file which contains all employees who have applied or received benefits).

3. Financial - W-4 (I understand this needs to be kept out of their personnel file), garnishments, verification of income checks from mortgage co., etc.

4. All I-9's are kept in one file separate from all others - these should never be in the personnel file.

5. Our nurse keeps a safety training file on each employee.

There are places in HRhero where you can find this information.

• I don't know if drug testing counts as a medical record that needs to be separate from non-medical stuff. Some attorneys recommend keeping all I-9 files together so they're handy in case of a gov't inspection.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • drug testing is medical information and should be keep in a seperate file. However, I do keep drug testing with W/C injury file together both are part of the total injury accident. These are kept seperate of all other personnel information and are identified by case number and not by name. The rest of your concerns should meet any audit. Pork