HR Education Training

I'm new to this Forum and am not sure where to post this question.
Actually, I am new to HR altogether, and would appreciate your professional input on HR education training.

Where to start? Being a member of SHRM, am I best off taking some of their training courses and certificate sessions at their next Expo in Orlando OR am I best of taking some basic HR courses at a local university?

I have been spending a great deal of timing reading HR materials, newsletters, etc...

Having a B.A., I would love to build up some credits (and knowledge of course) towards an MBA in HR administration or mgt.

Any suggestions or advice from you pros out there would certainly be welcome.

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful advise!
Newbie in Florida.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As I see it there are three good options for you:
    [ul][li]Take seminars offered by reputable companies -
    [/li]Advantage - quick information, good networking
    Disadvantage - not very in-depth and must wait for seminars to be offered
    [li]Enroll in a Master's degree program for Human Resources
    [/li]Advantage- indepth, complete information, good networking, credentialling
    Disadvantage- may make you "overqualified" for jobs with your level of experience
    [li]Enroll in a Human Resources Certificate Program at a local college
    [/li]Advantage-2 year program gives fairly in-depth treatment to all areas of HR, relatively quick, good networking
    Disadvantage-Most people do not recognize this certificate as anything more than attendance at a single seminar, not good for quick answers

Formal education is good, but networking, experience and participation in Forums like this are invaluable as you seek to expand your competence in HR.

By the way, I have used all three options listed above, except I went for an MBA instead of an MA in HR. That way I was able to get immediate information as I needed it, in-depth general knowledge, and specific knowledge that directly applied to the HR arena. Good luck to you!