Y'all will love this one!

Just had to share this one with you. Director of Finance makes part-time Accounting Assistant full-time as of July 1. Tells me she is giving asst. additional responsibilities that will make her exempt and that she'll review those responsibilities in the asst's annual performance evaluation. [I'm thinking--"This is the evaluation that was to have been completed a month ago?] Dir. of Finace assures me she will complete her staff evaluations within two weeks from this conversation. Upon my return from vacation about two weeks later I ask if Dir. of Finance has completed paperwork for evaluations. No--she's preparing for the audit. ["Okay, so....?"] Last week I ask again about the evaluations--get a commitment to complete them by the end of September, after the auditors leave.
Accounting Assistant's husband suffers serious injuries in a work accident mid-July, so she is out a couple of days relating to that, then learns her mother has advanced cancer, and is out a couple of days dealing with that. Asst. tells me beginning of this week she may need to take intermittent FMLA to help care for her mother. I talk with the Director of Finance to alert of her the situation and how we need to proceed. Director of Finance tells me she wants to re-classify the asst. back to non-exempt because of the time she has already missed, which has resulted in her not assuming the new responsibilities. These would, of course, be the responsibilities not yet reviewed with her!
My response to her was that she can't have it both ways, she'd better make sure she completes the evaluations by the end of September -- including reviewing the new responsibilities being assigned, and reminded her that she complained endlessly prior to her promotion to Dir. of Finance that her supervisor gave her no feedback and did not do evaluations in a timely manner!

Comments