Employee theft problems

Hi all

Some of our offices are experiencing problems with theft. A manager has suggested that we offer a cash bonus for tips that lead to the arrest of anyone for the pilferage. While I like the ideas of sending out a message to stop this crap, I'm leery of putting ourselves in a position where we are now turning over tips to the police.

Has anyone ever tried this? Any war stories? Suggestions? Tips? Thanks!

Lori

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our company has a Media Room equipted with a big screen TV, smaller TVs, VCR, tape recorders, etc. We also had a security company provide us with guards 24/7. One Monday morning we discovered an item missing. The following Monday another item was gone. We contracted with an investigation company and they installed a hidden camera which ran from Friday through Monday morning.
    The following Monday, the big screen TV was gone. Upon looking at the film, we discovered the robber to be the security guard from the agency.

Although the stolen items were not returned, the agency's insurance did cover our losses. Obviously the film was key in this matter.
  • Lori,

We had an employee arrested for theft when the circumstances really left us no other alternatives.

A few questions come to mind: what was stolen, how big a deal it is to you, and how motivated you are to catch this person?

Personally, theft bugs me. Its a violation of trust. I would do whatever your budget allows you to do to catch and stop this person. Keep in mind you might have more than one thief too.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]

• We have cameras installed at various locations throughout the plant. These aren't hidden cameras - the employees know about them. It has helped to control theft because even though we can't film everything, they know that they might be caught. We primarily targeted entry/exit places.