HR Poll

13»

Comments

• I have been in HR for 11 years. Prior to that I was the secretary to the Personnel Manager. I learned on the job and was delegated many tasks in all areas of HR. When the Personnel Manager left the Company, I was given her position. You learn new things in this area every day. When I need additional help with situations, I consult our attorney. I do not have a college degree.
  • >1. How long have you been working in HR?
    >2. How many companies have you worked for?
    >3. Did you graduate from college in the field or did you just fall
    >into it?

Guess I should jump in on this bandwagon....

Been in HR for 5 years officially, one company. Prior to that I was at a staffing firm for a year and prior to that, a supervisor in retail where I did interviewing / hiring for my area.

I don't have a degree relating to HR, I actually went to school for computer programming!

I sort of fell into this career when I decided to get a "real job" instead of working retail. A friend had an appointment with this "temp agency" so I decided to go with him. They were impressed with me and my background and asked me if I'd like to work for them. Then I decided I wanted out of the sales industry and into corporate HR. When most places were looking for someone with a degree, I decided to start in a customer service role; when I sent my resume into this one company (where I am now), they saw my background and asked me if I'd like to interview for an HR position! Needless to say, I got the job and was promoted within a year to a more senior role!
  • >1. How long have you been working in HR?
    >2. How many companies have you worked for?
    >3. Did you graduate from college in the field or did you just fall
    >into it?

6+ years at 3 companies. Landed in HR when the Company I worked for had temps doing recruiting and needed somebody who had company knowledge do recruhiting. No degree in HR.

I'm suprised that so many either do not have a degree or got their degree in a different field of study.