LEAVING THE COMPANY WITHOUT ENOUGH NOTICE

Hi! I am working here in Alaska. Is it against the law to consider the employee not eligible for rehire and not pay their PTO/IAP once they leave the company withour proper notice. Our company requires 2 week notice for non-supervisory and 4 weeks for supervisors.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • According to law, you can do anything to benefits that you want because employer's do not have to offer benefits (ie. health, dental, vaca, PTO, etc.) Had that issue just last month in my firm and my DOL stated that. Good luck!!
  • According to the New York & Federal Employment Law Manual, published by the American Chamber of Commerce Publishers, "An employee's right to vacation, holiday and sick leave is governed by the employer's policy, but an ambiguity in such a policy will be construed against the employer. Accordingly, employers may develop a policy that employees will not be paid for unused but accrued vacation, holiday and sick leave."
  • In the state of California,unused vacation hours must be paid to the employee when he/she leaves the company (resignation or termination).According to the information I received from the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, when a company offers paid vacation it is considered wages and must be paid. Needless to say, we paid the employee for the vacation hours.
  • Ditto the above. In California, an employee can quit without any notice at all and we would still be required to pay out their accrued vacation. Check your local state laws.