DRUG TESTING AND BACKGROUND CHECKING

Does anyone has policy on the above? It will be highly appreciated if you can share this to me :)

Many thanks!!!!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-29-02 AT 08:28AM (CST)[/font][p]You might want to read this article from HRhero.com -- [url]www.hrhero.com/topics/privacy/workplace.shtml[/url] -- to begin your prep and get an idea of what you're up against. There was also a forum thread discussing drug testing policies; go to [url]www.hrhero.com/employersforum/DCForumID14/893.html[/url] to read those comments.

You can also learn more in these articles from [i]HR Hero Line[/i], HRhero.com's e-mail newsletter:

[ol][li]"Background Checks: Should you or shouldn't you?" -- [url]www.hrhero.com/hrheroline/100501.shtml[/url] (there's also a link to "A Legal Guide to Successful Hiring" there that may be of interest)

[li]"Your Feedback on Background Checks" -- [url]www.hrhero.com/hrheroline/101201.shtml[/url]

[li]"Check the FCRA before checking backgrounds" -- [url]www.hrhero.com/headlines/061501/fcra.shtml[/url][/ol]

Regardless of what you finally develop, you'll definitely need an attorney to look over your new policies for you to ensure that they comply with state and federal law, and you'll need to make sure your new policies are kept up-to-date once they're established.

Good luck!
  • I will be glad to send you a drug testing policy to give you a starting point. This one allows for pre-employment, accident and for cause. It also covers alcohol and prescription drug abuse. GFann is absolutely correct that you need to check whatever you eventually decide upon as your policy with an employment attorney to make sure you're in compliance with the laws of your state.

You might also ask the attorney if your state has a Drug-Free Workplace Act. If your state does (most states do), ask what you have to do to comply with it. By doing some additional education with your supervisors and work force, you can get a mandated discount on your WC premiums. E-mail me if you want a sample policy.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]