Romantic Relationship in the Workplace

I'm looking for help in preparing a policy on romantic relationships in the workplace. Any help such as sample policies would be appreciated.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Because it's almost impossible to prevent romance in the workplace (Hormones simply do not read policies!), I'd recommend putting in a nonfraternization policy, which prohibits anyone in management from being romantically involved with anyone he/she supervises directly or indirectly. This is where the company has considerable liability and where you can probably get the effected employees to adhere to the policy. I'll be glad to send you a copy if you will e-mail me.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Could you please explain how office romances can lead to liability for a company
    Thanks
  • Here's a link to another part of this website where you'll find the description for a bi-monthly report for supervisors called "HR Frontline": [url]http://www.hrhero.com/frontline.shtml[/url]
    On that page, click on the "sample" to read all about workplace romances and the legal, morale, and other problems that they can cause.
    Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • Lots of liability may be involved, especially when a supervisor/manager/owner becomes involved with an employee he or she supervises or has control over.

Case in Point: Romantic relationship begins and then goes sour. The discarded paramour (usually the lower level employee) files litigation alleging that he or she felt compelled to engage in the relationship because they would lose their job, lose a promotion, etc. if they did not comply. Because in the eyes of the law the supervisor exercises control over this employee, the court would agree that this situation did exist and the company would more than likely be liable.

As Margaret has stated, this is where companies have some latitude in relationships. Our supervisors are strictly prohibited from having a romantic relationship with any employee they supervise. If such a relationship develops, it is the supervisor's responsibility to advise management of this relationship.

At the very least, when supervisors have relationships with their employees, it causes morale problems, resentment, allegations of favortism, etc.

Realize there is no way you are going to prevent employees from having relationships, but if you can discourage/prevent relationships between the supervisor/employee, you have greatly reduced your chances of a harassment lawsuit.