Employees' Driving Infractions

I'm wondering if anyone has a policy or knows of companies having policies regarding speeding and traffic violations incurred by employees while performing their duties within the scope of their employment, e.g. driving on sales calls, truck deliveries, bus driving, etc. Do companies pick up the cost of the tickets always, in limited circumstances? Where do you draw the line?

Thanks.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ken,

I have a client who is a beer distributor with lots of truck drivers. Their policy says that in certain circumstances they will pay tickets, but it's left soley up to the company. Usually they will only do so if they have a rush order for the driver or they have overloaded his/her schedule. I'll be glad to give you the exact language if you e-mail me, but we kept it very general to give the company plenty of flexibility.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-01-02 AT 01:10PM (CST)[/font][p]Here in North Carolina, some cities have recently installed cameras at intersections. They take pictures of the license plates of vehicles that run red lights. We (a local government) take traffic violations that could or do place our citizens in danger very seriously. As a matter of fact, we recently fired an employee who, among other things, ran three red lights (two in the same day) while driving one of our vehicles. She received three tickets. This may seem harsh, but since she was a new employee who hadn't completed her probation period there was no reluctance in discontinuing her employment. We do not pay the traffic fines employees may receive while executing their job duties. It's their responsibility.