HR Certificate Programs

I am interested in receiving a Human Resources Certificate. I have been looking into self-study programs and course programs. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding good self-study programs. And, anyone in Minnesota that has attended a HR Certificate program and which program they attended.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Have you looked at a program recommended by SHRM? There are self-study and/or classroom methods. Our local college offers a night class through the Continuing Education Department to help prepare for the certification exam. It is fairly intense, but well worth the time and effort. Many companies will even sponsor the expense.
  • I would highly recommend you look at professional certification through HRCI/SHRM. They offer two levels -- PHR and SPHR. It is widely recognized in the HR field. There are several ways you can study -- self-study with their study guides, a short course (three days or so), and I also believe there are some courses that are more spread out -- such as an evening a week for several weeks.

You can visit the SHRM website for more information -- [url]www.shrm.org[/url]

Your study would culminate in having to take a test for either the PHR or SPHR and then continuing education requirements to maintain your certification.

Good luck!
  • I would highly recommend the SHRM certification. Not only will you receive your accreditation, but you will also benefit from the excellent resource of study materials provided. I just recently read a BNA report, A Profile of Human Resource Executives for 2001-2002 and the SHRM certification is recognized as the primary accreditation held by those at the forefront of HR. I would encourage you to participate in a study course offered by your local colleges. The only downfall to the program was the size of the courseload. Self study is available, but requires much discipline. Good Luck in your endeavor. I received my PHR in December 2000.

• I took and completed the SHRM Self-study and found it to be an excellent preparatory course for HR work. Now I am trying to decide when to dive in and study to take the PHR exam. I have been gaining the experience that is a prerequisite to taking that exam.
    Good Luck!
  • I took the SHRM study course through the Continuing Education Department at my local university. The class was intense, but well worth it!! I received my SPHR in December 2000.

Based on the amount of information in the HR body of knowledge, I would strongly recommend taking a class rather than trying to do a self-study program.

Good luck!