Rhode Island Employment Law

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-10-01 AT 05:33PM (CST)[/font][p]I work for a law firm in California. I am trying to find a general summary of Employment Law in Rhode Island. Does anyone know anywhere on the internet where I may find such a summary?

In addition to a general summary, I am trying to find out whether covenants not to compete are enforceable in Rhode Island. I would also like to no whether Rhode Island employment laws generally tend to be more pro-employer or pro-employee.

I'm trying to avoid a trip to the law library. Any help would be appreciated.

Sara

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sara-

I'm not aware of any summary of Rhode Island employment law on the internet, other than what's available through [url]www.hrhero.com[/url] to Law Center members. There are a couple of print sources that give a basic summary of labor and employment law in the state. If you'd like more information on this, please let me know.

As to your question on non-competes, they are enforcable in Rhode Island under certain circumstances. I believe the latest reported case on the subject is Block v. Vetcor of Warwick, LLC, 2000 WL 1634784 (R.I. Super.), a trial court decision last year by Judge Williams, who is now the Chief Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court. The case summarizes the Rhode Island case law in this area.

In my opinion, and with the disclosure that we represent management in labor and employment matters, Rhode Island employment laws are definitely pro-employee. For instance, the Rhode Island legislature recently passed a bill that includes "gender identity or expression," whether actual or perceived, among the categories protected by the state Fair Employment Practices Act. Few states have such protection. In addition, drug testing of employees is extremely restricted unless required by federal law or regulation, and state law prohibits an employee from being fired for a first positive drug test. These are just a few examples.

I hope this helps. Having spent a fair bit of time at the law library myself, if I can help you avoid a trip there, please feel free to call or email me.

Regards,

Doug

Douglas B. Neu, Esq.
    Editor, Rhode Island Employment Law Letter
    Powers, Kinder & Keeney, Inc.
    Providence, RI
    [email]dneu@pkklaw.com[/email]
    (401)454-2000
  • Sara,

Here are links to more information about Rhode Island Employment Law Letter, the monthly newsletter that Doug writes and information about our state-specific Employment Law Centers, including several searchable state-specific databases:

State-specific Employment Law Letters:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/empnl.shtml[/url]

State-specific Employment Law Center:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/emplc.shtml[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]