Suspension without Pay

How long can I leave an employee on suspension. Can I tell the employee it is until further notice and not specify a definite amount of time.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There's a whole lot you aren't saying. Why was the employee suspended? Is he/she exempt/non-exempt? Is this an administrative leave situation pending the out come of an investigation? What gives?
  • >There's a whole lot you aren't saying. Why was the employee
    >suspended? Is he/she exempt/non-exempt? Is this an administrative
    >leave situation pending the out come of an investigation? What gives?

• The best thing to say in these circumstances is that an employee is suspended indefinately pending an investigation of the misconduct. This gives you some time to investigate and think things over. I know of no law or regulation with limits this time. However, after a week or 2 you need to make a decision. If you wait too long, the employee may be able to make a claim against you based on someone else being treated differently in similar circustances. Also it is simply good management practice to make a decision after reasonable consideration. Treating any employee (even a bad one) in an inconsistent or unfair manner will harm the morale of all employees.