alcohol user returning to work - last chance agreement

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience regarding how to supervise an employee who is returning to work after alcohol treatment. In the employee's absence, numerous costly mistakes committed by this employee have been discovered. The employer is willing to give him a last chance. I would also appreciate receiving any sample last chance agreements. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our program is structured under the Drug Free Workplace Act in which we give employees one chance at continued employment. Their continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a rehab program, they are subject to random drug screens during the first 24 months following their RTW. Any issues of use, possession, distribution, failure to cooperate, etc.... will result in immediate termination. I'm satisfied with how it works.......
  • We do not have a written policy regarding the circumstances of an employee returng from rehab. However, upon the individual's return, we sit with them and explain what our expectations are regarding job performance. If the individual does not meeet the expectations temination will occur. Be sure to document the meeting in writing and place it in the personnel file. Remember, your decision to terminate should be for job performance, not the fact the individual a substance abuse problem.