Recordkeeping in california

In the state of california, how long must personnel records for terminated employee, be maintain?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Both California state and federal laws impact how long it is necessary to keep employment records after an employee terminates (resigns, retires, discharged, etc). A good, reasonable time seems to be at least FOUR YEARS from termination for most employment records based upon what individual laws may permit as a "contest period" or the "legal right" of a governmental agency to request records from a California employer. There are exceptions that require some records to be kept longer, for example, six years for pension and welfare plan information.
  • Two years is the legal requirement, although sometimes files contain information which should be kept longer than that, payroll information for example. It is a good idea to keep the file longer than the legal requirement because of the possibility of legal action, etc. If you will e-Mail me at [email]shugh@westernu.edu[/email] and give me your fax number I will send you an outline of Ca. requirements.
  • We generally recommend that you keep personnel records for at least five years from the date of termination or the resolution of any employment-related action.