Bad Apple

We recently termed a temporary employee (it was the end of her temporary appointment). There was no promise of making the employee permanent and the work unit she was in is undergoing change so it's not reasonable to make a permanent appointment at this time. There are also some performance issues with this employee that would not make her a good choice as a permanent employee with our company. Three of the other employees in this work unit are bent out of shape about her leaving, and one in particular has become almost unbearable to work with. Her attitude and behavior have been unprofessional to her supervisor and some of the other employees in the work unit. Her supervisor has had several meetings with her, and cannot seem to make any progress with her, so she is in the process of writing her up. In the meantime this employee is a "bad apple" with the other two employees and it's going on two weeks that this group of employees has been acting up and making things difficult for others. The manager of the entire unit feels that maybe there is something "underlying" in all of this and wants HR to step in and have a meeting with the three employees to try to "draw out" whatever it is that's really the issue. Does any one have any ideas or tips that I can use in this meeting to encourage the employees to "open up"?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-15-01 AT 12:55PM (CST)[/font][p]I would:

1. Tell the employee the reason for the meeting (supervisor's request). That way the cards are on the table and there are no hidden agendas.

2. Explain that your role is that of a fact-finder and advisor.

3. Assuming there were no behavior/attitude problems with this employee before the contract employee left, show the comparison between that period and the present and ask "why the change?" Give examples of her behavior/attitude.

4. Voice concern over her attitude/behavior and that her supervisor is concerned to the extent that disciplinary action is being considered. However, this may be avoided if we can come to some sort of resolution. Ask her to suggest a resolution but don't make any promises.

5. If the contract employee's leaving is the reason for the attitude/behavior change, simply explain that business conditions did not permit making her a permanent employee and there is nothing personal in that decision.

5. Take plenty of notes, assure the employee you will share her concerns with management and that you will get back to her.

6. Ask her to keep your meeting confidential but don't be suprised if she doesn't.
  • I would not do a group meeting because you will get some "pack" behavior - individuals who were not unhappy suddenly become unhappy. Also, one person will often dominate the meeting. Meet with each employee separately and ask about how morale is in the department to get yourself rolling. I agree with GAR's suggestions for how to handle the meeting(s). You might also refrain from explaining the reasons for not making the temporary permanent. Just take the facts down, ask pertinent questions and only listen. Then have the supervisor meet with the whole group once you have debriefed him/her to discuss what came out of the meetings and what the supervisor and/or work group are going to do about the issues going forward. This way all information comes from the supervisor and you maintain the supervisor's authority in the department. You want to be careful not to let the group play HR off against the supervisor.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
  • i agree with margaret that a group meeting is a bad idea(that's how the french revolution started) and that playing hr off against the supervisor is something to avoid...i'll just add that you have to manage the situation,you can't let the situation manage you---so ask yourself this question:is it even worth trying to explain to others---who really do not even have a need or right to know--why the temp is gone?...by talking to the employees ,i think you may be letting the situation manage you...good luck,mike maslanka,dallas,texas
  • I agree with everyone...here's a mixed solution...first meet with each person individually with the guidelines that Gar set out. Then have a big pow-wow with the supervisor and the three employees. You'll be surprised at how attitudes can change when the employees realize that you and the supervisor are spending a lot of time on the issue -- and that you care about them. They may just need some extra attention to clear the issue.

Then I would have the supervisor draft up an agreement - not a contract - but a simple agreement with what is expected out of everyone and then that supervisor would have to enforce that.

Good luck. I've been in your shoes many, many times and 9 times out of 10 this has worked for me and sometimes even the "bad apple" turns out to be the best employee in the world with a little more maintenance. --Kerry
  • It seems more likely than not, that the employees are upset because they now must do the work that was previously done by the temporary employee. I think a general meeting (with the supervisor present) is in order. Explain that you are aware they are unhappy the temp was let go but that the expectations of the company are that they will continue to do their usual fine job. If the conditions don't improve, write her/them up and let things take their course.