Light-duty work

We are considering the creation of some light-duty positions within our plant to accommodate both those with personal injuries as well as restrictions from a work comp injury. We think we want to have a time limit on these positions of 60 days or less and will carefully structure these jobs so that they are meaningful and not just "busy work."

I would like to hear from/receive guidance from others of you with a light-duty program that works well.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You're exactly right in limiting how long light duty will last. I ususally make it a maximum of 90 days, so that light duty doesn't become permanent duty. You also might want to call it "temporary modified duty" or rather than light duty because light equates to easy work. While the work needs to be meaningful, the most important thing is to get people back to work. Some of my clients keep a list of tasks for which they do not have time (filing, inventories, etc.) and use temporary modified duty to get these done.

I have offered to send my temporary modified duty policy in the past to someone posting on the Forum. I'd be glad to send it to you as well. If you will e-mail me at [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email] or call me at 615-371-8200 I'll be glad to send it to you as well.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
  • margaret is 100% right on this...from a lawyer's perspective,i can not stress enough that the policy must explain what will happen if the employee is unable to return from modified duty,and that there must be an acknowledgment of some sort that the employee undertsands this...mike maslanka,dallas,texas