Off-The-Job Hazardous Activities

We have an employee who recently began motorcycle racing during his off-duty hours. There is some concern about the impact this might have on our health insurance premiums and/or sick leave pay should he be injured. My understanding is that as an employer we cannot advise someone how to spend their time off-the-job. Any advice or caveats?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Check your health insurance policy to see if there are exclusions for such things as racing, skydiving, professional sports, etc. If there aren't, you may want to look into incorporating something along those lines.

As for restricting an employee's off-duty pursuits, that's extremely difficult for a private employer to do (unless, of course, you're talking about things that are regulated by, say, interstate commerce laws for truckers or FAA regulations for airline pilots, etc.).

Steve in SD
  • Personally, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Motorcycling racing is supposed to be good exercise, and it makes him happy.

Employees do lots things on the weekends that could result in serious injury: driving drunk, having unprotected sex (AIDS), hunting, smoking, and on and on. It doesn't seem fair to single out one dangerous activity.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • Steve and James have valid points. Unless your group insurance policy dictates otherwise, I say leave the poor guy alone.