Religion in the workplace

We have received complaints from some employees that their department head is always pushing her particular brand of religion in the workplace. She has even gone so far as to tell one worker that the worker was possessed by a demon and should come to the department head's house so that she could exorcise the demon. She has also blessed them, and plays gospel music over the PA system in her department. I was under the impression that this is illegal if it is making the staff uncomfortable - particularly because the woman is a manager. I am getting an argument from the other executives involved. Where should I go with this one?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Seems to me the problem here is the over-zealous Manager who is perceived at proselytizing. I think I'd have a chat with the Manager, explaining: 1) Mgt must ensure that employees religious beliefs are not infringed upon by others-----and this includes the managerial staff.,& 2) that she's setting herself up for many other employees to expect that their religious beliefs will be represented in the workplace. Assuming her relious belief does not REQUIRE her to proselytize on a continuous basis, I would remind the Mgr that religious protection usually comes in trying to accommodate employee's religious beliefs. This is where employer's get in trouble with Title VII. The Mgr's tendency to promote her individual belief is not appropriate and probably not within the culture and values of your organization (I'm speculating this is true). Once this Mgr understands she is an agent of the employer and expected to preserve a certain work environment, the problem may go away. She simply has less ability to proslelytize while on duty acting on the employer's behalf, as a Manager.
  • Although I agree with down-the-middle, I tend to be a bit more blunt when managers act obnoxious - they should know better. If I confirm that the manager's conduct is as reported, at the end of the speech suggested by down-the-middle, I'd look the manager square in the eye and tell her to cut it out or else.
  • I think that this could rise to the point of being a legal issue. These employees are complaining that they are being religiously harassed, which is no different than sexual harassment. I'm with GAR, I would have a strong talk with the manager and tell her that while she is entitled to her own religious beliefs, she cannot force them on people in the workplace, particularly since she holds a management position (a position of power).

If that fails, tell her that you believe that she is possessed by the devil. Just a little levity to lighten you day!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge

• I agree with Margaret. This behavior borders on creating and condoning a hostile work environment. No one wants to be badgered at work concerning religion. If we need to make an accommodation for an employee, that's one thing, but there's nothing in the law that allows anyone to foster their views on another person.

We have had individuals that want to have "prayer groups", etc. We tell them if they want to do this off company time, such as before work or on breaks, that's fine as long as this is a willing group of people who want to get together. I haven't had any complaints about the group trying to "convert" anyone over, but if I did, then we would have to put a stop to this behavior on company property.

It's a very sad situation concerning the employee who killed herself. I had a situation where a young man was badgered because he was effiminate (sp.) and other employees assumed he was gay and also assumed because he was gay that he also had AIDS. They even sprayed the telephone with Lysol after he used it. I did not know of their behavior until I talked with him at an exit interview and he told me the reason he was leaving was because he could not take this kind of behavior any longer. I called the group together and I first told them how ashamed I was of them for treating a fellow human being in this manner and how they had displayed their ignorance in dealing with the situation. I also told them of the legal ramifications they had caused the company as well as themselves personally, and I hoped they were all prepared to go to court if this young man filed a lawsuit. Needless to say, this was an eye opening experience for this group and I did not hear of any more of these type altercations.
  • I'll give you a real life example of proseltising at work doing harm. Some years ago I had a female supervisor who was a lesbian. She never made a public disclosure, but various activities (such as bringing her partner to the company picnic) made her sexual orientation very clear. There were several women in her department (under her supervision) who were Jehovah's Witnesses. They were constantly telling her that she had to give up her sinful life-style or God would punish her for eternity. They kept after her to be "cured" through their ministrations. Imagine her postion. She has a sexual orientation and life-style which she cannot change. She is being badgered by people telling her she is going to Hell. She couldn't win.
    After about a year in the job she killed herself. She was a fine supervisor and a good person. She needed compassion not preaching.
    After that experience I now tell proseletizers to confine their activities to outside of the workplace. If they feel the need to confront other employees, they should confine their efforts to prayer on the person's behalf.