Duplicate job candidate

I just scheduled an interview with a woman for a newly open position in our company. After checking my records, I discovered we interviewed her 1 1/2 yrs. ago when this position was previously available. We rejected her application at that time.

The current opening is exactly the same as before. Is there any legal issues to be concerned about if I call her and cancel the interview based on the previous rejection? Why waste both our time?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • An awful lot can happen in 18 months. She may now be qualified. Assuming you do not have a particular candidate in mind for the job, what would interviewing this person hurt? Who knows, she may surprise you.
  • I agree with Gar...... chances are her disqualification 18 mos ago was not due to skill based reasons, so your judgment today may be much different than 18 mos ago. She may now have much more of those qualities you're looking for. What would you hope would happen if you were this candidate?
  • I agree with the other two responses. She should be given a chance, unless you can identify in your interview notes that the reason she was rejected before is something that could not change and would be a reason to disqualify her today.
  • >I just scheduled an interview with a woman for a newly open position
    >in our company. After checking my records, I discovered we
    >interviewed her 1 1/2 yrs. ago when this position was previously
    >available. We rejected her application at that time.

you have scheduled an interview with the candidate twice based upon some sort of information. What is there about her resume or application that lead you to this action? Before I would even consider canceling this latest interview, I would take a look at my screening process and ask myself whether it is working properly.

I agree with the others who have responded. You may find that nothing has changed, and the candidate is still not qualified. On the other hand, you may find that a lot has changed, and the she is the perfect candidate for your opening now. Give it a shot.

• Thanks for the input. I did go ahead with the interview, figuring why not give her another chance but she failed the one job-specific test we gave her. Have to give her credit...she writes a good resume! It caught our attention twice.