Employee Handbooks

We have been providing our ee's with a handbook during orientation that is actually a full text copy of our company policies. We now want to stop this practice and develop a true Handbook that only summarizes/highlights the policies and procedures of the company.

Is there a legal issue here since we are changing the information provided? Employees will still be able to access the full policy book through the HR office.

Also, I need help with what would be pertient to the handbook format if anyone has one they could share?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >We have been providing our ee's with a handbook during orientation
    >that is actually a full text copy of our company policies. We now
    >want to stop this practice and develop a true Handbook that only
    >summarizes/highlights the policies and procedures of the company.
    >
    >Is there a legal issue here since we are changing the information
    >provided? Employees will still be able to access the full policy book
    >through the HR office.
    >
    >Also, I need help with what would be pertient to the handbook format
    >if anyone has one they could share?

Assuming that you have no collective bargaining agreement, which I assume you do not, you could have a cursory or summary handbook. As the employer, you can change the handbook as you desire assuming nothing in the handbook says it will not be changed without the employee's consent. Most of my clients have departmental policies that are different from other departments and in depth company wide policies that are not in the handbook.

Gary D. Jiles
    Editor
    Arkansas Employment Law Letter
    Jack, Lyon & Jones, P.A.
    3400 TCBY Tower
    425 West Capitol Avenue
    Little Rock, Arkansas 72201
    (501) 375-1122
    [email]gdj@jlj.com[/email]

• You are smart to only provide general policies in the handbook. I'd be glad to send you a list of what I would suggest including, but it will not give you the abreviated version of the policy to use. I also can refer you to someone who will write your handbook for you if you don't have time. Call me at 615-371-8200.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge