Employee Information

Is is legal for an employer to require all employees to inform employer of any traffic citations, arrests, or other legal entanglements with which they might be involved in their personal life. If so, can you direct me to language which might be included in a policy statement?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Information of this kind should be limited to incidents that are job related such as traffic ticket info. for jobs that involve driving. Convictions may be job related for certain jobs, but I don't think that arrests are related to much of anything. You should seek legal council before implementing anything regarding convictions.
  • On a related note, we had a 20 year old employee arrested for underage drinking. His court date is coming up soon. As long as he can still drive and obtain a CDL, a conviction should not impact his job. However, at the least, I believe the supevisor should meet with the employee and provide a memo to the him about the Employee Assistance Program (just as information, not as a supervisory referral). Any suggestions on more or less that we should do? (By the way, we are a city government and the arrest was made by city police which is how we found out about it).