Residency Requirements

We are a public sector agency (county school board). Our board is requesting that we have a residency requirement for one of our geographic locations; in other words, an administrator who works in this geographic location must live in the geographic location. This does not apply to any of our other locations--only to this one specific location. The goal of the board is to try to make sure that the administrators are involved in the community. Is this or could this be a problem?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • my memory may be way off on this,but i seem to recall a lawsuit over this issue---something about how the city that wanted to have this type of policy was an enclave of wealth,and almost 100% white,and that minorities did not have the where with all to live in the enclave and therefore the policy had a disparate impact on them...i have no cite,but perhaps you should chaeck it out..good luck...regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • Years ago when I worked in the public sector, the city that I worked for passed a residency requirement. The immediate impact was the inability to recruit people who, for whatever reason, did not want to move into the city. Fortunately, the city grandfathered current city employees so that they did not have to move. I don't know what the legalities are but there will be an impact on recruiting.