foreign language competency tests

This is not a legal question, but I am interested in paying
a bonus for employees who are fluent in more than one language.
In order to do this, I need to find some sort of language competency
test. Is anyone using something like this? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • you may want to look in the yellow pages for a berlitz school...thay are a leader in language teaching and may be able to help..regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • I don't know what line of business you are in so my thoughts may not even be applicable, but where I worked previously, we had trouble with this. The union wanted pay bonus for folks who were bilingual. Made some sense as in our line of business (mental health) we had clients who benefited from our bilingual staff. . . but here's some of the problems we had. We had staff who were fluent and staff who "got by" Do they both get the money? (Your testing might help here)Was it essential to the job? IE A bilingual dispatcher or casemanager is a REAL plus, a bilingual computer programmer really made no difference. We also had staff that were fluent/bilingual in ie VietNamese. Nice but never a skill they were called upon to use or that we benefited from. Do they get the bonus too? The closest we got was a possible differential for the time staff actually spent interpreting. It was never signed off on, but am sure it is on the table again this year. Again, don't know if any of this has any relevance to you. Good luck
  • Thanks for your input. I actually think we have addressed those issues, but it's good to revisit them. I'm still looking for the proficiency tests which I think are key to this whole thing. Thanks again.