Dress Codes - Salary Empl.

2 years ago we had to specify "no shorts" on our dress code (otherwise, it says we expect them to "dress responsibly"). We outlawed shorts when we started seeing gym shorts & ragged blue jean shorts. We continued to allow "split skirts"; however it is true that there is a wide variety of these & on some employees they look like shorts. Now we see "capris" (i.e. pedal pushers to my generation).

Some of the male salary employees who work in the production area feel it is unfair to them. Their area is extremely hot. I suggested to the Gen. Mgr. that perhaps allowing a "uniform shorts" for employees in certain positions would be a good compromise, but he says no. There has been some comments to me about there being discrimination in the dress code.

I personally feel we need to just advise the women that dress, skirt or pants are appropriate, but nothing in-between.

What do you recommend?

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It seems to me that your production employees may have a legitimate business-related need to wear shorts. If so, the needs of the business should be your guide in this matter. If there is no business need and to eliminate confusion/controversy, it should be standard work attire (suits, dresses, slacks and skirts) for everyone.
  • We have had the same issues with shorts, etc. In your case, if the women are allowed to wear very casual wear (shorts, skorts, capris), then it would be very difficult to tell the male employees they don't have the same rights. I know of a hospital that made a rule that "male employees are not allowed to wear earrings". This was challenged and male employees were allowed to wear earrings the same as female employees.

Personally, I feel that employees have taken "casual" wear to extreme. Unless you have a very casual business, I feel that employees should wear professional attire, but I'm not sure they know what that means anymore.
  • I believe the dress code should be determined by the work being performed. If you have associates who work in a hot environment, what's more professional, uniform shorts or someone dripping sweat. In addition, the personal comfort of your employees should be taken into consideration. Generally, people perform better if they are comfortable. Our warehouse associates wear uniform shirts and shorts in the summer. Our office personnel, who work in an air-conditioned environment, don't.
  • Most employers have casual dress policies like yours. They use vague terms like "dress appropriately", or "office casual wear", without defining these terms. I have worked at three employers who went through the process of adopting a "casual" dress code. In every case top management resisted defining expectations in this very important area. I have often wondered if this isn't a subconsious attempt by these managers to sabotage the program from the start?

It sounds like you "threw out the baby with the bath water." I think you wanted to keep people from wearing cut off jeans, and sports wear, but instead you said "no more shorts." My I suggest doing things the right way-with some guidance on what is expected?

Companies like Fed-X, UPS, and others have proven that it is possible for employees to wear shorts, and still look "professional." What they have done is specify that the shorts are to be "walking" shorts- a very specific and particular style. They have gone so far as to specify the appropriate color for their employees to wear. In essence they have set a performance expectation in the matter of employee dress. It always amazes me that we were willing to specify the cut and color of shirt, suit and dress shoes an employee had to wear under the old "formal" dress codes, but when we went "informal" it's like we couldn't make up our minds what to have people do.

• I have been put in this exact situation in a previous job and my decision was simple. Everyone was required to wear pants or slacks. Dockers or equivalent, end of discussion. There was just too much whining and threats of discrimination circling the company and I was sick & tired of hearing about it.

That way the men couldn't claim discrimination because women were allowed "bare" legs in hot weather by wearing skirts while they were required to wear slacks. Needless to say, it was an unpopular decision but everyone sure looked a lot more professional (as professional as you can look in Dockers, anyway, instead of a smart knee-length skirt & blouse).

--Kerry
  • One company I used to work for had a policy of no shorts, skirts, or capri pants for women. I recommend that if there are certain individuals who need to wear shorts inorder to do their job - courier or driver then have the supervisor state clearly to them what type of shorts are appropriate.

AMW
  • I have been at companies that have approached this both ways. From designating what is acceptable and unacceptable to the "dress appropriately" scenario. The problem with listing acceptable vs. nonacceptable is that you can't even imagine what people come up with that's not "on the list". Then they throw in your face "Well....it's not on the "do not" list". Also, with the dress appropriately definition - what some people feel is appropriate dress wear is different from the traditional professional work attire.

One medical facility I worked at issued golf type shirts with the company logo on it (very nice quality) and told employees they could either wear khakis or docker type pants. No jeans! No exceptions! This worked very well and everyone looked very professional. It was casual enough for the "laid back" folks, but at the same time, looked very professional.

At my present facility, we are wrestling with the same problem of professionalism. We are leaning heavily towards the same type of "casual" uniform for our desk people. Clinical people, of course, wear scrubs.
    There are some companies that provide very expensive, tailored professional uniforms. (Ritz-Carlton). Expectations are high in this organization (as an employer as well as a service provider) and everyone looks the part. Sloppiness and non-conformity are not tolerated. Most companies do not demand this type of perfection.

The majority of companies, if they want to go the casual route, would probably do best with the golf shirt type/khaki pant uniform.
  • Our company and others I have known have produced small pamphlets featuring employees wearing both appropriate and inappropriate clothes. Our policy is fairly detailed and allows for certain extra casual wear on summer Fridays (we are basically all office workers). The policy also says that management may determine is a particular attire is unsuitable. Employees who violate the policy may be sent home to change--without pay for the time. We have few problems.
  • Boy this pushes my button. We are a "casual work" type of company and we say no short shorts. We don't define what is short. Anyway what is the big deal with the clothes that people ware? You look professional? Well are you professonal? I don't think much of a person who judges a person by the clothes they ware. Shure there are extrems. My daughter worked for a phone co. and never once met a person from the outside. There was a dress code. What for? Atmosphere? All this emphasis no clothes in this country is hog wash. Kids are killing each other for the shoes on their feet. Why? Because of all this hog wash. If you expect people to wear expensive clothes you better be paying damn well. There, my button is back in normal position.
  • I agree, dress codes should match job needs and responsibilities. I also agree with setting company standards and understood the current topic to be directed toward management staff.

Salaried professionals are expected to help set the tone and reflect the standards of the business as a whole. Depending on the nature of the business, some are inherently more reliant on "business dress" standards. However, "dressing for success" need not equate to expensive brand names.

For some, casual dress codes have been mismanaged, opening the door to personal interpretation. However, I understand that with the tightening business economy many...management and employees alike...are choosing to return to a more traditional dress code to reflect more traditional business standards.

Yes, there is a lot of peer pressure on kids...and many of the seeds are planted by the adult examples in their lives. Our challenge is to learn, teach, and practice effective real-life skills to deal with the inevitable pressures throughout the many stages of life.

Oh, for a perfect world.....
  • What you wear is supposed to cover and protect you in some ways. For companies in the production/manufacturing business, what employees wear should protect them from a safety perspective. Safety becomes the primary concern when it comes to decide what employees should wear.

Companies in the service industry usually will require their front-line and also other employees to dress professionally and many pay employees uniform allowances. Image becomes the primary driver to determine what employees should wear.

In the recreation and entertainment industry like Disney World, employees wear fun clothes becos' that's the way business is done.

Basically, the management should decide what image will best fit their business, and whether every employee should be subject to all same dress code or devise a range of dress-codes based on business needs. For example. front-liners, sales persons etc should be considered under one category and all backroom or support staff like purchasing, warehouse etc should be under another category. Those who have direct contacts with the external customers should be considered as front-liners. Human Resources who meets up with potential employees should also be considered as front-liners.

Dress codes should spell what employees can wear (with pictorial representations). Even words like "smart causal" needs to be well-illustrated. In this way, employees are clear of the company's expectations. Colours of clothers/hair/shoes may also be items worth considering when one decides on what goes into the dress codes.

In deciding what goes into the dresscodes, it will be wise to obtain the feedback from employees in all areas concerned. They are the ones who know best their work environment and the type of work they do daily. It is never wise for someone who sits in an air-conditioned office everyday to decide what another working in the naturally ventilated warehouse should wear.

Hope this feedback helps.
  • When I first started my "work life", I began in law and banking which are two very conservative fields of dress and the expectations were that you dressed professionally. I was a support person and did not make a huge salary by any means, but you were still expected to dress like a professional (which meant no shorts, crop tops, gym clothes, etc.). As time went on, "casual days" were put into place which were usually on Fridays. This was still okay as long as there were guidelines, but once the guidelines went out the window, employees felt free to wear anything they chose to wear. Then, this casual atmosphere started bleeding over into the rest of the week. (Ex. You allow employees to wear jeans and sneakers on Fridays, then you gradually see them bending the rules and wearing sneakers during the week. When no one calls their hand on it, it continues and gets worse.

A lot of organizations are going back to the more traditional dress for employees and rescinding casual days. In healthcare, where I now reside, we are considering uniforms for non-clinical employees. They will be on the casual side (Khakis and golf type shirts with logos). This will create a casual, but still professional atmosphere. This would take care of two issues -the lack of professionalism and also the call for a more "casual" workplace. It will also solve the problem of employees feeling they have to spend a lot of money to buy "work clothes". This will also allow patients to readily identify employees of our practice.

I think this will work for us, but it may not be appropriate for all organizations.
  • Unfortunately, there is no answer to this problem that does not generate some kind of controversy. There is no limit to how silly it can get. We had an argument with a male employee over shorts some time ago. We were trying to push appropriate dress. He pointed at appropriate dress for females and said it was too hot and that he was going to wear a skirt to work the next day. When the supervisor approached me with this threat from the employee, she did not know where to turn. My response was that appropriate clothing is a package deal. The man couldn't just wear a skirt, we would also expect panties and hose as a female would wear for an appropriate outfit. That laid the ridiculous issue to rest.

PS. Make sure you know the man before making a condition like that.
  • I think blue jueans, sneekers, and a decent shirt (no holes)looks fine. I guess companies have to compete and so want to look spiffy. What kind of customer looks at a person and says "oh that mamagement person isn't wearing a suit and tie! I'm not doing busness here anymore!" If that happens then you are forced to look spiffy. Too bad. I think to hek with that person. What about customers that are more comfortable with the guy with long hair and a tie die shirt rather than a stuffy looking suit and tie? You all are interesting!
  • The responses just show there is no one "proper dress code" applicable for all businesses. It is determined by the type of business and the message/image that needs to be presented. Suits very appropriate in one setting can be out of place in another...Likewise the extreme casual.