Names not matching S.S. #

I have received a letter from the S.S. Administration stating I have some emp's that have numbers that don't match with the name. After talking with the emp's they have brought me a W-7 (SP) form, they say they will have a new S.S. card in five weeks. Has anyone had to deal with these.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I JUST saw an ALERT on this - must be "Hot"

Check this site:
    [url]http://www.gemplers.com/ssa.htm[/url]

• I recently ran into two strange cases.

The first was an employee with two (2) legitimate social security numbers. It seems he has one under his mother's maiden name and the other under his birth name (Eastern European, and very hard to pronounce and spell.) We checked with the Social Security Administration and they verified that both numbers are tied to both names and we were free to use which ever one the employee gave us. The problem I see for this employee is when he get's ready to retire, he is going to have "fun" collecting benefits from two accounts.

The second case, involved an employee who was trying to clean up a bad credit record. This employee applied for a Federal Tax ID Number and had given this to some lending companies. When it did not match the SSN on our records it caused us a few days of confusion. We are using the SSN to report wages, as the Federal Tax ID is not meant for tracking personal earnings.