child labor

i have an employee whose 15 year old son would like to work at our NH manufacturing facility this summer. he is coming up from florida (lives with his mother). does he need working papers? are there age requirements in NH for certain types of employment? child labor?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I just spoke to the US Dept of Labor yesterday regarding child labor. You must follow at least the FLSA child labor provisions and any more stringent laws your state DOL has. To get the US DOL child labor laws in plain english, go to [url]www.dol.gov[/url], click the quick guide button and look for child labor. What I found gives the number of hours in a day, starting and ending times and the type of jobs a youth can and can not do. Email me at [email]ofalfin3@apci.net[/email] if you can't find it and remember to check your state also.

• You should probably check the requirements carefully. Here are a couple of excerpts from your NH Employment Law Letter:

"While New Hampshire law prohibits individuals under the age of 16 from
    certain manufacturing and quarrying occupations or from working in logging,
    federal law would generally prohibit such employment for individuals under the age of 18. There may be exceptions for apprentices and student-learners enrolled in approved training programs."

"We cannot stress strongly enough that -- with only a few very limited exceptions -- employers must obtain youth employment certificates before any youth is permitted to work. No worker under the age of 18 may be employed or permitted to work without a certificate, except for work for his parents, grandparents, or guardian or at work defined as casual or as farm labor. "Casual work" is employment which is "infrequent" or "of no
    more than 3 calendar days for any one employer" or "productive of little or
    sporadic income" or "not commonly held to establish an employer- employee
    relationship."

• If I remember correctly from my time in New Hampshire, the papers that you will need come from the school of the student (the counselor's office). You will need to find out what to do in the case of an out of state student.

I am here in Florida now. I'm looking at an Authorization for Partial Waiver of Florida Child Labor Law for someone we hired a year ago...The form comes from the Division of Workforce and Employment Opportunityes, Child Labor Section. The phone number listed here is (850) 487-2536.

I hope this helps.