Dealing with Unionization Comments

I represent a company which operates in a union free environment. All employees are "employees at will." In the last few days, some of our supervisors have been faced with comments that suggest that some employees are investigating the possibility of bringing union organizations in. Does anyone have suggestions on how best to handle these comments, legally and professionally?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you need to get some very expert advice from an attorney who specializes in labor law. You need to respond quickly to these comments, but you need to be sure that your managers and supervisors don't step over the line. You do need someone who can put your toes right on the line in order to make sure you do not wind up unionized through lack of action. This web site (see the top of the site) can help you find an attorney in your state to help you if you don't already have one. Again, you need an labor attorney. Call me at 615-371-8200 if you need help locating one.

Margaret Morford

• We have a similar event several years ago. We contacted an skilled attorney who instructed our supervisors with what they could or could not say. We met with the supervisors to discuss what they felt the issues were, and didn't get much of a response. Next we met with the production workers in small groups of ten. It was amazing how many complaints they had that the supervisors didn't either know about or didn't bring to the President's attention. From the worker meetings the senior management was able to quickly act on several important issues like safety, overtime and wages. The effort was headed off successfully. We learned an important lesson about communication. To this day the President makes a great effort at staying in touch with the employees. Good luck.

• One method is to have employee focus groups, to determine if there are problems which need to be addressed. These areas should be handled as a team with the effected employee having an integral part in the process of assessment, and problem solution. Be careful, and do not treat those making statements as spokes persons for the group.