EEOC Interviews

Does anyone know of a good reference for dealing with an EEOC investigator's interviews of the employer's personnel? Our company has never had an EEOC investigator request such an interview (until yesterday). I am looking for references to review for advice on the process.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know of a good reference but as a retired EEOC director, I know that it is EEOC's practice to interview non-supervisory employees in private. You do not have to allow them to interview on your premises but they will just interview them after hours. I would let them interview on the premises. At least you know who they talk to that way. You can insist on having a representative present at the interviews of supervisory personnel, since they are agents of the company.
  • Like JJ, I don't know of any reference for dealing with EEOC on-site vists.

I've been through a few (for supervisory employees) and handled them like fact-finding conferences. I tried to make sure the witness was prepared, used it as an opportunity to learn about the complainant's allegations and interrupted when clarification was needed or things were going off-base.

• The questions normally depend on the nature of the complaint. The place to start is with the interrogatory which was probably sent initially in an effort to prevent an acutual investigation. Following that short of an attorney, I would check with Commerce Clearning House, or similar publication.
  • You could check out Schlei and Grossman on Employment Law for a general description. I just left the EEOC to return to private practice. You're welcome to give me a call. 206 623-1900 Claire Cordon