Smoking Cessation

Has anyone had success implementing a smoking cessation program? I have checked with our health carrier and local medical providers, and neither offer any similar services.

I would like to create an in-house type of smoking cessation program, but I don't know where to start. Any ideas?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Contact the local American Heart Association or local Red Cross. They will usually work with you to set up the program. You might also check your medical plan to see if it covers the patch so you can encourage your employees to join the class. If your plan does not, some companies have chosen to reimburse or pay some portion of the cost in order to encourage employees to look out after their health. If you are going to do this, make sure that you condition any company contribution on completing the course as the patch paired with a cessation class significantly improves the chances of an employee quitting permanently. Don't forget to deliever the employee relations message, "Because we care about you and want you to be healthy, the company is offering a smoking cessation course." Good luck!

• We would like to offer our employees a smoking cessation program. Has anyone had success with offering this benefit? How did you go about administering it?

• David, why don't you also check with your current medical insurance carrier? Many have this incorporated into their "bonus" programs already and should be able to lend their expertise and assist with set up and promotion of the program. And, because they have a vested interest in keeping your employees healthy, it may be low or no cost to promoted on site.

• If your medical provider won't help, check with you local chapter of the American Heart Association or Red Cross. You might also offer to pay for a portion of the cost of the patch as an incentive for employee wellness. I would either pay a portion of the cost at the beginning or reimburse the employee the entire amount, paying half upon completion of cessation courses and the other half if he/she is still smoke free at 3 to 6 months. The employee needs to pay something on the front end or you will get people who are not really committed, but think they might try it since the company is paying for all of it. Also, require that the patch be paired with cessation classes as the chances of success with the patch go up dramatically if paired with classes. You might also want to hold the classes on site to make it as easy as possible. If you need any more information, feel free to call me at 615-371-8200.

• What if you are in one of the two states (Ky & NC) that have specific laws prohibiting discrimination against smokers. Could a reimbursement plan by the company be seen as discrimination.