implications of same-sex nepotism

I recently interviewed an employee's same-sex significant other for a position in a department other than that of the current employee. The two have been dating for 4 months and it raises, for others in the company, the question of nepotism. For that primary reason, I am not proceeding with hiring the applicant.

Having sited nepotism as a primary reason for the decision not to hire, am I backing myself into a corner where I will be forced to offer same-sex partner benefits (health insurance, etc.)? We currently do not offer such benefits.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you need to back up and look at your company policy on nepotism and workplace relationships. Does it apply to a man and woman who are dating but are not married? Does it apply to a man and woman who are living together, but not married? If the answers to these questions are "No", then nepotism would not apply, unless this couple has somehow legally formalized their relationship (for example by a partnership agreement, etc.)

I don't know whether your state protects sexual preference as a protected category, but some states do. So the best bet is to treat all employees equally under your policy.

I do not think you would have any issue with benefits, but you will need to review your benefit plans to see who is qualified to get them.

Good Luck.