US based company hiring a non-US Citizen to work in Greenland


We're a US based company hiring a New Zealand citizen (with a British passport!) to work for us in Greenland. He will not be spending any time, nor logging any hours in the US.

Do we need an I9 for him?  If so, does he need to get some sort of work visa to be legit. 

So confused on this one.  Any help would be appreciated.



  • 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks to someone else's post on another I-9 topic I found this information in the I-9 handbook for employers:

     You DO NOT need to complete a Form I-9 for persons who are:

    1. Hired before November 7, 1986, who are continuing in their employment and have a reasonable expectation of employment at all times;

    2. Employed for casual domestic work in a private home on a sporadic, irregular, or intermittent basis;

    3. Independent contractors; or

    4. Providing labor to you who are employed by a contractor providing contract services (e.g., employee leasing or temporary agencies).

    5. Not physically working on U.S. soil.

Sign In or Register to comment.