Can I ask for an absent note?

I have an eeployee that has taken advantage of the sick time and vacation, she has been taken time off and given no reason, can i aks her for proof or docutmention of some sort?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="urway2destiny"]I have an eeployee that has taken advantage of the sick time and vacation, she has been taken time off and given no reason, can i aks her for proof or docutmention of some sort?[/quote]

Let's start by reviewing what is in your policy.  What's it say?

When you say the employee has taken advantage, how do you mean "taken advantage"?  Do you mean they have abused the system in some way or only that they have taken advantage of the very opportunities for paid time off that the company supplies?

• sorry for the delay, well you see she overpaid herself by 16 hours of sick pay....when we only offer 24 hours. so she ended up taking 40 hours of sick time and never told anybody...and since she is on payroll she was able to do this.
  • [quote user="urway2destiny"]sorry for the delay, well you see she overpaid herself by 16 hours of sick pay....when we only offer 24 hours. so she ended up taking 40 hours of sick time and never told anybody...and since she is on payroll she was able to do this.[/quote]

For that, I would terminate her for theft. Why mess around with notes/documentation? Because even if she does have documentation, she still stole 16 hours of pay from the company based on her position in payroll. That is still unacceptable whether she was truly sick or not!

• Ditto. If I'm reading your account right she took advantage of her position in payroll to do this. That to me is an integrity issue in a department that must have the highest integrity.

Edited to add:

The thought of such a thing flames me; color of authority type of thing. First investigate how such a thing could have happened. Was there a legitimate mistake that occured? An oversight perhaps? Find out exactly what happened then act accordingly. But if it is a theft for sure I still say ditto.

• [quote user="cappy"]

Ditto. If I'm reading your account right she took advantage of her position in payroll to do this. That to me is an integrity issue in a department that must have the highest integrity.

Edited to add:

The thought of such a thing flames me; color of authority type of thing. First investigate how such a thing could have happened. Was there a legitimate mistake that occured? An oversight perhaps? Find out exactly what happened then act accordingly. But if it is a theft for sure I still say ditto.

[/quote]

+1.  If you cannot determine that this was a legitimate mistake because of some issue with your process, and you believe that it was an abuse of position because of her access to the payroll system, then I would terminate employment for theft.

• well she quite when we confronted her with the findings....but now she is asking for EDD. which we plan in fighting and showing proof of everything she did.
  • Sounds like a consciousness of guilt admission. She may file, in fact some agencies encourage people who have been fired for cause to file. The rationale is that they have nothing to lose. But if your investigation and subsequent documentation is sound then you will be ok.

Still to file is a bit cheeky in my humble opinion. Sounds like you have saved yourself some trouble down the road.

• Entertaining post.  I cherish those employees in a way - without them HR may not be as needed. Hopefully she will not be able to collect and reap the benefits of her stupidity.