Scrap and coaching vs. Discipline

I am currently using a 4 step disciplinary policy for employees.  We are finding that it isn't the most effective when it comes to employees that are creating scrap.  We are especially having trouble when it comes to our 3rd step of suspension.  A day off without pay  for creation of scrap is not helping in fact employees come back to work with a worse attitude about the creation of scrap when they left!  Any ideas out there?  Does anyone use a coaching or retraining day rather than suspension? 

Thank you,

Cheri

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Cheri-

I have to ask - what is scrap???  Perhaps I am dense today but I am missing this one.

As far as the process is concerned, I have had trouble in the past as well with suspension.  What I did do in the past to remedy (mostly successful, sometimes not) is have them write out an action plan for their own behavior improvement.  Often times this led them to document for me the items in which they were underperforming in and acknowledging it as well.  This action plan was a condition to return to work; without it, they were terminated.  Any violation of their action plan (or policy, etc.) was considered a violation of their committment which was a terminating offense.  Most employees will realize this but to aid them I included that language clearly in the performance improvement/discipline area of our Emp Handbook as part of our documented process.

• [quote user="larscl"]

I am currently using a 4 step disciplinary policy for employees.  We are finding that it isn't the most effective when it comes to employees that are creating scrap.  We are especially having trouble when it comes to our 3rd step of suspension.  A day off without pay  for creation of scrap is not helping in fact employees come back to work with a worse attitude about the creation of scrap when they left!  Any ideas out there?  Does anyone use a coaching or retraining day rather than suspension? 

Thank you,

Cheri

[/quote]

If you are talking about creating scrap in a manufacturing/assembly context, ,that's a sign of skill, training, or leadership issues and should be addressed that way until you are sure it is a problem with the person and not one of those other things.  I would be more inclined to fire someone on step 3 than suspend them if they simply cannot get the skill down (or the attitude up).

• When I stated scrap I meant the employee creates  bad product, non conforming material...bad parts.
  • I agree with TX that the first look should be looking at the training given to these employees.  Are they truly being given everything they need to succeed?  Are they being put on the job without enough training?

I would also question someone's desire if they are given a third strike, suspsended, and they then come back with a worse attitude.  If that were me, and I liked my job/company, it seems like I would do everything I could to avoid the fourth strike and not come back with a salty attitude.

• I have never really been a fan of suspensions. I have used them in some major situations where we needed to do an investigation into what happened, but I don't like to use them for general disciplinary issues. 

I agree with others that you need to look at the training the employees are receiving.  Do you have documented procedures that these employees must follow?  Have you gone over these procedures and have the supervisors monitored to make sure the individual is following the procedures?