Sleeping on the job

It has just come to my attention that an employee sleeps on the job and has for quite some time now.  He was just relocated from a job site to our main office and everyone is talking about how he sleeps in his office all day and snores.  When I spoke with his direct manager and some of the executives they laugh and say he has narcelpsy/sleep apnea.  His manager has discussed with him that he needs to see a doctor and that it could be a serious health issue that could be resolved.  His response was he was going to see someone, but we don't think he ever has.  Now that I know about it, I want to address him.  Anyone have an approach that would show him that we are concerned but we cannot have employees seeing this go on, it is bad for morale.  He has been a dedicated employee who appparently was great at his peak 15 years ago but now just sleeps.....

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The following is merely my opinion based on my experience with situations similar to this.

The scenario will probably go like this:

"Hey Joe..."
    "What's up?"
    "Y'know... we've noticed you've been napping here and there.  Having some trouble sleeping at night?"
    [This is where he may or may not explain the situation.  Let's assume he does and it's from sleep apnea.]
    "Yeah... sleep apnea's been getting the best of me."
    "Have you seen the doctor about it?"
    "Not yet, but I will."
    "We've heard 'I will' before.  You need to do it."  [Now go on to explain the dangers of sleep apnea.]
    "I've heard it before... I know what it's about."
    "Look, Joe... we just want to let you know we don't want anything to happen to you.  You've been with this company for X years.  Don't let personal negligence stop it at X+1.  Okay?  Do us and yourself that easy favor and see a doctor."

It's also about delivery.  Change the tone of your voice appropriately.  Be sure to speak somewhat softly so it adds the effect of showing some serious concern without making a huge deal about it with everyone else in the office.  Besides... having a fellow employee address a situation sometimes drives it home a little bit better.  Some employees seem to get a "He's only showing concern because he's a manager" train of thought.

Since you said the manager said he has sleep apnea, you need to hear it directly from him.  He-said-he-said isn't always true.  Also, considering the executives laughed about it, it doesn't sound like they care too much.  Suggesting to go to the doctor isn't against the law... hog-tying the person, putting them in your trunk, and driving them to the doctor is.

Note:  If he doesn't explain the situation and plays the, "Oh... it's nothing..." card, inquire, but don't be intrusive.

• I would run the convo this way:

Hi Joe.

Hi.

Got a minute?

Sure, what's up?

Hey, I just learned that you've been sleeping on the job a lot.  I'm not trying to get on you about it, but is there anything I need to know about you or what's going on in your life right now that could interfere with your ability to do your job?

I have sleep apnea.

Then go down the ADA road and also FMLA, if it applies to your Company.

You do not have to accomodate failure to perform or failure to appear for scheduled work but you almost certainly need to being a dialogue about the possibility of accomodation.

Is this person exempt or non-exempt from the overtime and minimum wage provisions of the FLSA?

• Hey, you all might assume it's sleep apnea, but it could be something else. He may be self-medicating himself with OTCs that make him drowsy. Or he may have troubles at home. These are things he may not want to discuss, especially since he is new to the office and doesn't have established relationships with anyone.

• That was precisely my point, everyone laughs it off and say that he has a diagnosed problem but yet one can actually tell me about the conversation that they had with him, I think these are all assumptions.  I personally have experience with sleep apnea (if that is what this is) and it is dangerous and i am concerned for him.  I am also concerned that we have all recently taken 20% paycuts and had recent layoffs, employee morale is low and I cannot have an employee collecting a check but sleeping all day and everyone seeing this go on.

thanks for the advise