Community Service - How does employer support employees in doing volunteer work

As a larger non-profit, we are developing an employer supported community service program to encourage volunteerism.  We have defined employer support as providing paid time off' for approved volunteer activities up to 8 hours per year; this will be a matching program also that will allow employees to increase their volunteer time by this paid time off, ie.taking 4 hours vacation and having the organization provide 4 hours of paid time off.  Only 501(c)3's or established non profits on the IRS listing are automatic approved organizations for volunteering, any other has to be approved through our community service committee.

Has anyone done this, or a comparable program?  I have found a lot of 'for profit' employers doing this, including matching donated dollars for dollars, but we can only provide the time off.  Any suggestions, pitfalls?

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would think that exempt employees need to be done in full day increments since there is hair on paying out a partial day's pay for a full day's absence according to a similar discussion we had here awhile back although I'm unsure of the DOL's word on that.

Part of this sounds like it could run the same as a sick time donation pool.

• We are also a non-profit.  We established a program called Community Care Hours.  We allot 40 hours of Community Care time a year to full-time employees, and up to 20 hours to part-time employees.  They can use this time for any community service activity that falls within the definition of the program and for which they need to take time off during their regularly scheduled workday.  From our policy:

Projects and activities that qualify for the Community Care Program should be affiliated with a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, public charity, or a school district, and relate to one of the following categories:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·        Education and Job Skills Training and Development

·        Neighborhood Revitalization

·        Youth Programs

·        Health and Human Needs

·        Civic Improvement

·        Arts and Culture

For example, projects which would generally be eligible for the Community Care Program include:

·        Group and individual community service projects

·        “A-thon” events, such as walk-a-thons, serve-a-thons

·        Drives, such as food, toy or book drives

Projects Not Approved for Paid Community Care Hours

Generally, the following projects do not qualify for paid community care hours:

·        Projects strictly serving religious, political or fraternal initiatives.

·        Projects which are not affiliated with a non-profit organization, public charity, or school district.

·        Projects or programs that would pose a potential conflict of interest for the Credit Union, or are not aligned with the company’s values.

• I find it interesting that the two responses, i.e. the two that do this, are non-profit organizations themselves. Is it because for-profit organizations aren't willing to give up the profit that comes from missed work time? (On top of the PTO that employees currently receive?)  Or is it because employees aren't asking for the benefit?  I suspect that if I went to my CEO and asked for timeoff to volunteer for charitable/community service, he would not say no.

I do know of a few for-profits that allow certain employees to take a sabbatical for community service/charitable help, but not on a full company-wide policy.  For example, years ago our electric power company allowed one of their VPs to work "free" at United Way for 6 months.  But I think that is rarer now than ever.

Just curious!

• I think you are right that this is more prevalent in non-profit organizations then fo-profit.  I have heard of some companies allowing time off for things like this.  My current company does a lot of charity/volunteer projects.  The ones requiring work are usually on a Saturday but if we are collecting food for a food bank or collecting items for a family in need, I usually go deliver the items during the work day, without any objectives from my President.  He actually really likes things like this so if something came up for us to do one day during the workday I could see him allowing time off for our employees to help with the project.

But more so I think you hear about for-profit organizations that allow employees to donate moeny to say the United Way and the company matching up to a certain dollar amount. 

• I agree that it seems to be more financial support (i.e. company matching) than volunteer/paid timeoff support for specific individuals. I do know companies that have charity drives (food, shoes, etc.) but few that have paid time off for individuals to volunteer at places of their own choosing.  I wonder if it has to do with the ability of people to fraudulently use the paid timeoff or to use it for organizations that the employer doesn't want to support (political, religious, etc).

Or is it just one more aspect that the employer should let the individual choose/control on their own? (kind of like my response on the pet insurance thread --that is pending approval-- it should show up sometime today LOL)  For example, if the employee wants to volunteer, they can do it in off hours or they can use vacation time to do so.

• The reason companies don't allow employees to individually volunteer is the situations are fraught with potential problems. Regarding "places of their own choosing," you might consider these points for a policy, especially if volunteers are representing your company.  Of course, this wouldn't apply to what employees do on their own time.

volunteer activities are to take place in public places, not private homes

volunteers should not be totally alone with individuals, especially children, during the volunteer activity

volunteers should not perform any personal/medical duties (grooming, washing up, changing bandages, etc.)

volunteers should not drive others for the charitable event in company vehicles (unless this is cleared by company)