Advice for someone pursuing a PHR

Do you have any advice for someone pursuing their PHR?  I am currently in a graduate program working to complete my MBA with a focus in HR managment.  I am looking at taking a break until spring so that I can enroll in a PHR preparation course and test in December. 

What have you found to be more beneficial to you in taking the PHR exam, the knowledge gained through studying for the exam, or the experience gained by the number of years you were in the field before taking the exam?  How many years was that?

What can I expect to see on the test?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • PLEASE make sure you meet the requirements before applying to take the exam. I have seen too many others who made the mistake of signing up, only to find out they didn't qualify. From the HRCI website:

"Students and recent graduates who are within twelve months of graduating from a bachelor's or master's degree program are welcome to take the PHR or GPHR exam in the student/recent graduate category."

"Students have five years from the time of taking and passing the exam to obtain two years of exempt-level HR work experience."

• Thanks. That is what I am in the process of establishing as well.  I've read the requirement and from what I can tell I meet them all.  Although I am currently enrolled in a graduate program I do have two years of exempt-level HR work experience.

I'm going to speak with HRCI over my lunch break today so that I can verify with someone there that there is nothing hindering me from taking the exam.

Let's assume that I do in fact meet all the qualifications like I believe I do, what do you advise I keep in mind for the exam?  What did you find most beneficial in preparing you for the exam, your experience or the knowledge gained through studying FOR the exam?

• I passed my SPHR exam 8 years ago.  My work experience helped more than my study group but I could not have done it without both.  My assistant is 18 months away from an undergraduate degree in HR.  Upon getting his AA degree in HR he and others from his class took the PHR exam.  He told me they all failed.  This was a few years ago before joining my company.  He did not have practical experience in human resources and he stated he wished he had waited to get the work experience before sitting for the exam. 

In light of this, I  believe experience working in the field adds to your chances of passing the exam. It seems like you are in pretty good shape with your work experience and school work.

Good luck!

• Personally, I utilized the SHRM study materials designed for the test and found the test to be much simpler that I first anticipated. Granted, it was no walk in the park, but I felt the study materials and practice exams were essential in my passing. Some colleagues of mine decided to do the preparation course instead and regretfully did not pass.  Due to my study habits and desire to work study at my pace...when I can, however much I can...the SHRM system worked.  So here is my endorsement for that product and that cost--it saved me time, $$$ (gas to and from the classroom), and allowed me to again move at the pace I designated.  Please note that I did have roughly 8 years experience prior which also aided in some of the questions but the questions on the exam were not so much situational as the were factual...(i.e. What act permits 12 weeks of unpaid, protected leave?)

Best of luck to you on the exam!

• [quote user="6386307"]

Personally, I utilized the SHRM study materials designed for the test and found the test to be much simpler that I first anticipated. Granted, it was no walk in the park, but I felt the study materials and practice exams were essential in my passing. Some colleagues of mine decided to do the preparation course instead and regretfully did not pass.  Due to my study habits and desire to work study at my pace...when I can, however much I can...the SHRM system worked.  So here is my endorsement for that product and that cost--it saved me time, $$$ (gas to and from the classroom), and allowed me to again move at the pace I designated.  Please note that I did have roughly 8 years experience prior which also aided in some of the questions but the questions on the exam were not so much situational as the were factual...(i.e. What act permits 12 weeks of unpaid, protected leave?)

Best of luck to you on the exam!

[/quote]

I've looked at the SHRM material and was torn between purchasing it or taking a preparation course.  Then I found out that Rice University here in Houston offers a PHR preparation course utilyzing the SHRM Learning System program.  You get the expertise of the SHRM Learning System as well as the insight of the instructors who have extensive experience and expertise in the field that I do not yet possess.  Hopefully the results are as optomistic as my outlook.

• Since you are a student, the SHRM flash cards also work well for PHR test prep.  The SPHR has a lot of applied knowledge questions, which do build on your own HR experience.  Good luck.
  • JACHR-

Glad you have the optimism--consider that step one.  I would assume that the course includes you keeping the SHRM learning system correct?  I will assume your answer is yes--if so, then if the classroom environment suits you best, roll with it.  Just remember that the questions are straightforward so like the previous poster stated, the flashcards are great!  They will "beat" the definitions of all the key terms as well as the important laws, Acts, and so forth into your head.  I studied the flashcards extensively and repeated the tests until I was blue.  You will do fine if you stick to the curriculum.

Again, best of luck!

• I purchased the SHRM learning system and planned on taking the PHR exam this year.  Now I cannot make up my mind.  I am considering going for it and taking the SPHR exam.  I am really nervous about the actual exam since my employer will be paying for it...no pressure!  I am still studying the modules, but it is a lot of information.  Would you say the actual exam is close to the practice exams?  I noticed the SHRM practice exams that come with the learning systems cover Unions a lot. 

Unfortunately, we do not have a study group in my area and taking the course at the college here is way out of my budget.  My employer purchased the modules for me.  It sounds like the common advice is to review flashcards and the sample tests.