inclemental weather pay policy

Does anyone have a policy for inclemental weather pay for employees that have a construction staff as well as office staff? What happens if the construction staff needs to come in during inclemental weather but the office staff cannot due to their computers not working. How would pay be determined for non-exempt as well as exempt employees?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Part of your question is easy: exempt employees must be paid on days the business closes on a regular work day due to weather.  They aren't absent for any of the normally deductible reasons such as full-day absence for personal reasons not related to illness or otherwise subject to a bona-fide sick pay plan.  Of course, people already out on unpaid leave that extends to and beyond the date of closure need not be paid.

Do any of your potentially affected exempt employees earn commissions?  If so, you will need to consider whether or not to pro-rate.

For hourly people, there are different schools of thought.  We do not pay hourly employees when their work site closes due to weather.

• My policy is right in line with TXHRGuy's policy.  I do, however, allow hourly employees to use vacation time for these days. I have also allowed them to work extra hours on other days to make up the time, especially if we have a lot going on, and we need to make up for lost days on a project.

• We, too, allow PTO/vacation time.  As a sales company, it hurts us when sales people aren't busy selling stuff, so we generally allow people to work Saturday even if they are not normally scheduled for that day if we lose time during the week for reasons beyond employee control (e.g., flooding, phones down, or bad weather).
  • We do the same thing, but will add that if our houlry employees come in before the office closes we pay them a half day's pay for the attempt.  This was started because some of our drivers come in so early and the call has not been made yet.  We wanted to give them something for the attempt.

• We're similar to the others but we do require exempt employees to use PTO time.  If they are out of PTO time then they're paid anyhow.
  • You pose an interesting situation.  If the (non-exempt) office workers computers go down, and the employer sends them home I would think the employer would offer them the opportunity to take vacation/personal time.  I don't think they are required to pay the employees.  Just as they are not required to pay non-exempt workers (office or construction) in the event of inclement weather. 

Exempt must be paid in either situation.  Hope this helps.

• I am in construction.  Our office staff is paid for the full day.  If my guys are scheduled to work and weather does not permit and we cannot get to them at a reasonable time to let them know not to come in, or if the weather gets bad before we are onsite less than 3 hours, I pay them 3 hours "rain time".  This is pretty standard in Florida.