Honest Rejection

I interviewed an applicant who could really benefit from some professional polishing.  Good skills, but pretty rough around the edges.  We're hiring someone with better skills, but I'm wondering how honest I should be in the rejection letter.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I know what you mean. Sometimes I just want to give an applicant a clue about what she or he is doing that will probably prevent them from getting a professional-level job (or any job for that matter). However, I have come to the conclusion that it is not the prospective employer's responsibility to improve rejected applicants. It would be a nice thing to do, but it also may open a Pandora's box of issues: what if the rejected applicant hears the criticism as some form of discrimination? what if the applicant is not ready to hear criticism? what if you accidentally/unintentionally say something that could  be used against you in a legal claim? No matter how well intentioned, I think that constructive criticism is better saved for employees.
  • better to keep it short and sweet - just say you've hired a better suited candiate and call it a day...
  • I totally agree with sdiconza.  Some interviewees would not take some constructive criticism well which is unfortunate.