Music in the workplace

I have an employee who listens to "gangsta rap" in his cubicle and I am starting to get complaints about the lyrics used in those type of songs.  I would like to tell him that listening to those songs is inappropriate but I don't have anything in writing that says he can't listen to it.

What is your company policy on listening to music? What wording should I put in an employee handbook so it doesn't seem like I am singling the individual out? 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you have any employee conduct policies prohibiting foul, abusive or inappropriate language. You could also consider whether the music is creating a hostile environment for women (if the songs are derogatory towards women - which they usually are). Either of these policies would work.

As far as a music policy, we allow limited use of soundproof earplugs (i.e., no one around you can hear sound "leaking" from th earphones), so long as the music listening does nto interfere with the employee's work, cause a safety concern, or interfere with communiciation with othe employees.

• Maybe if you have a general workplace courtesy policy that would work.  If the "noise" is interfering with other employees' ability to work, maybe the suggestion of earphones could be used to resolve the problem that way.
  • You can have a policy that states: "If personal music players interfere with work or dealing with customers, or if the music poses any disruption, distraction, or safety hazard, or if the music played is objectionable to other employees, the company will ask that the device be removed from the facility. Repeated violations of this policy can lead to discipline and/or termination."

You can also put in your policy that company computers cannot be used to record, upload, or download music or other copyrighted material.

• I would treat it as a courtesy issue under your employee conduct policy if it's becoming annoying/disruptive to other employees.