Imus

What does everyone think of the Imus situation?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • After all this time when Imus has been saying outrageous things that are often derogatory about various groups of people, this comment finally got him fired. I'd like to think it was because the networks just won't tolerate language that is sexist and rascist anymore. However, in the end, it seems to be all about the money--the sponsors pull their ads and the company pulls Imus!
  • As a public person, Imus inherits the responsibility to speak and act responsibly. What he said was extremely destructive to a group of women who are great examples/role models for young women. Since Imus breached his responsibility in the worst way, taking him out of the public spotlight was the right thing to do.
  • it's weird that the defense from imus and his enablers is that the words are used in rap lyrics. wow, imagine if we as hr pros had to turn a blind eye to inappropriate behavior because it also happens in some form of pop culture. we'd have a bunch of managers like steve carrell's character on the tv show "the office."
  • I totally agree with BKate...it's always about money, and it has nothing to do with the fact that his comments were both sexist and racist. Finally, we have some good role models for girls and this is what is said about them. And I think that comments like the one Imus said should be offensive no matter who says them...a tv/radio host or a rapper...

• Did he say a very offensive thing? Yes.  Did he deserve to lose his radio show over it? That's debatable. I think you have to look at his entire body of work--35 or 38 (I've heard both) years of radio, inducted into the Broadcasters Hall of Fame, does loads of charitable work including a ranch in New Mexico for children with cancer...Should his punishment--losing his livelihood--be the same punishment that some wet behind the ears talk show host who was on the air for a week would have received for the same comment?

Essentially the firing says his extensive career and any good that he does means squat--it's all outweighed by this one ignorant and hurtful comment. I agree he should have been disciplined/suspended, but this punishment seemed like overkill to me.

• Does anyone know if Imus' cohorts (Charles McCord, Bernard McGurk, etc.) were employees of CBS Radio or were they employees of Imus' production company? Can they continue on the show? 

Also, do you think there will be any employment or contract-related lawsuits?

• I heard Charles and Chris Carlin on the radio show this morning, so evidently they weren't fired. Deidre Imus and Charles did the show on Friday.

Hilary Clinton had to cancel her meeting with the Rutgers women's basketball team today due to the storm. 

• Charles McCord is still on the "flagship" station of the Imus show. As of today, the Mike and the Mad Dog sports program is on the morning slot Imus held on WFAN (660 in New York and available over the internet) and they were calling it "Mike and the Mad Dog, with Charles McCord".   I believe that McCord--who reported the news on the Imus program--was sort of the "straight" man for the show, and didn't engage in any of the risque comedy.  I'd be surprised if Bernard McGurk--who also called the Rutgers players "hos" on the air, is still working for the station.
  • I think it's only a matter of time until Imus is back on the radio or tv. There's a market for stuff like this. I was watching a show this past weekend where the panel was talking about how our society has come to tolerate and actually support a culture of meanness. I think that maybe the panel was right...we need to look at what our society tolerates being said about other people and how cruel some of these shock jocks, comedians, etc. are allowed (and paid) to be. I'm not sure if Imus is a racist or not, but what is said was certainly racist and sexist, and we need to rethink supporting these type of "entertainers."
  • Saying offensive things is a regular for Imus, but this was the "straw that broke the camel's back".  I agree that the reason he was fired was over sponsorship or more importantly lack thereof.  Sponsors seem to be dictating what we can and cannot see or hear in the media.  If attention had not been brought to the comment probably nothing would have been done. 

Perhaps more censorship should be done of talk show hosts/media in general about offensive behavior.  If people are allowed to get away with hurtful comments they will continue to do so.  There is nothing that says he cannot continue to do his good works. 

• I totally agree that Imus' comment was inappropriate, offensive, inexcusable, and indefensible -- fully deserving of serious discipline.  However, until the media are willing to extract the same "pound of flesh" from all like perpetrators, employment termination is an over-reaction to the criticisms of those who have been guilty of much the same shameful behavior.  Until the networks and other media are willing to stand-up for and model equitable treatment of the offenders, they will continue to be a major factor in the continuing cultivation of America's "double standards".  Why should an Imus be taken of the air and the rappers (and other of their ilk), who are outrageously more offensive, be allowed broadcast rights to endlessly foul the ears and minds of society???  When brothers Jesse and Al begin movements to erradicate all Imus-like sowers of manifest dis-respect, hurting expressions, and foul behavior, I'll be first to laud and support their crusade to clean up all America.  Finally, is it not outrageously duplistic and unacceptably discrimminatory to somehow justify one group to make disparging remarks about its hair styles and to castigate another for repeating their comments?  I'm afraid that the refrain "equal treatment" has become a very twisted concept, contorted by its singer to foster his/her own agenda.
  • I think the rationale behind the decision was simply about money and nothing else mattered (not who Imus was, nor the level of public outrage or calls for him to be fired by folks like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson). If advertisers weren’t pulling out and it wasn’t going to result in a loss for CBS, they would have weathered the storm and let the 2-week suspension suffice. That's precisely why the rappers you're asking about aren't being censored or having their contracts torn up by record companies--it sells. By the same token, all the "outrage" in the world over such racist or mysoginistic lyrics wouldn't accomplish a thing unless the record company's bottom line was threatened.

By the way, more to sankey's argument, I saw a reprint of a political cartoon first posted in the Investor's Business Daily. I think it's clear that this cartoonist feels the same way you do about "double standards."  It is making much the same argument--and it's pretty funny too. Choose the April 18 strip at http://www.ibdeditorials.com/cartoons.aspx.

• Looks like we will be hearing a lot more about this topic when Imus' lawsuit is filed.  Interesting language in his contract. 

This will certainly keep the "talking heads" on cable busy now that Anna Nicole's baby issue seems to be settled.

• If what is being reported in the media today is correct, it gives businesses a wake up call on the clauses in their contracts.  Also, if what is reported is true, that the network actually asked for and is expected to receive this type of conversation, perhaps the blame on what was said was misplaced.